Re: Arguments wanted....

Christoph Graf <Christoph.Graf@switch.ch> Tue, 16 November 1993 11:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 03:26:35 +0000
X400-Originator: ietf-osi-x400ops-req@cs.wisc.edu
X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=XNREN/ADMD= /C=US/; mhs-relay..735:16.10.93.09.26.35]
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Christoph Graf <Christoph.Graf@switch.ch>
To: ietf-osi-x400ops <ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu>, rd-mhs-managers <rd-mhs-managers@chx400.switch.ch>
Subject: Re: Arguments wanted....

To illustrate the issue a bit, I send you the complete text of the "Application
for MHS Management Domain Names" (yes, we got it in English too!):

|I hereby agree to the following:

|- that the above name shall be used in the scope defined by
|  the ISO MOTIS standard and the CCITT X.400 Recommendations

|- Specifically as a PRMD, I will not be involved in the
|  relaying of messages between external domains

|- Specifically as an ADMD, I will attempt to interconnect to
|  as many other ADMDs (both national and international) in
|  order to provide the best service possible

I talked to the guy a BAKOM (responsible for registration of Management Domain
Names) and was advised to cross out the sections I do not like. As BAKOM
understands it, points 2 and 3 are fully covered by the first one, so I'll
better cross out all of them in our application.

While it definitely makes sense to register PRMD names to solve issues like
ADMD=" ", it is not up to a registration office to prevent providers from
offering lousy service (Does being connected imply good service??).

Christoph Graf