[xml2rfc] References feature

mrose at dbc.mtview.ca.us (Marshall Rose) Fri, 30 June 2006 11:33 UTC

From: "mrose at dbc.mtview.ca.us"
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:33:35 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] References feature

> Could an attribute be added to the xref field that indicates normative
> vs informative, so xml2rfc could sort the references into the
> appropriate section automatically? At the point one is adding an xref,
> it should be fairly apparent whether it is normative or not.

maybe i'm missing a subtlety here.

i think it is possible to have three documents, X, Y, and Z.

i think that X can refer to Z as normative, and not refer to Y.

i think that Y can refer to Z as informative, and not refer to X.

am i wrong?

in other words, my belief (which may be mistaken) is that the statement

	Z is normative

has meaning only in the context of the referring document.

/mtr