Re: [yam] Status: draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-pre-evaluation-00

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Mon, 09 November 2009 06:48 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:48:41 +0900
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
Cc: S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@elandsys.com>, yam@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [yam] Status: draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-pre-evaluation-00

Ned Freed wrote:
>> I received some feedback from the Alexey.  I edited the information for
>> this status update.
> With all due respect, I think we're WAY past the point where this
> degree of
> indirection is anything but a hindrance to forward progress. The IESG
> needs to
> state, clearly and directly to this WG, what their concerns are.
Ned, this is arguably my fault. I sent a private note to SM and chairs,
SM reworded my version and I found it to be slightly better, so I told
SM that he can send out his version.
>> The IESG is fine with all the changes except for the
>> downreferences.  The format is generally Ok, several ADs commented
>> that the pre-evaluation document was useful.
> Well, if that's the case in general, then this effort is effectively
> over, and
> we might as well disband this group right now and save ourselves a lot of
> pother. Because if downrefs aren't going to be allowed, we're screwed
> because
> references to things like TLS are never going to make it to standard
> in the
> necessary time frame.
>
> If this is a more selective thing (and I see no evidence that it is or
> isn't - the IESG evaluation record is singularly unhelpful on figuring
> out exactly what
> this downref problem is), then the IESG needs to explain the actual
> policy
> behindd their selective allowance of downrefs.
Oh, I am sorry. I think I should have been clearer on this. IESG
specifically talked about downreferences to other documents in YAM's scope.
I believe having a downreference to TLS is not going to be a problem.
>> The following paragraphs are about the process.  The general view was
>> that the IESG cannot really judge the process by doing a simple
>> document.
> And I think the appropriate response to that is, "So what?" We appear
> to be so
> wrapped up in nailing down every last detail of the process for every
> conceivable document we might consider that we're losing sight of the
> actual
> goal here, which is to address the minimal set of *technical* issues
> needed to
> get the various core email specifications to Standard.
I agree.
>> It doesn't make sense to approve extensions first, then
>> run into the possibility of not approving changes to the document
>> being  extended.  The WG should move the main documents first instead
>> of the dependent documents.
> And again, if that's supposed to be generally applicable rule, this
> effort is
> effectively over.
I wouldn't say it is over, but we will certainly discuss much quicker if
YAM's process experiment is successful or not.

I am largely agreeing with the rest of your note.