Re: [6lowpan] WG adoption of draft-patil-6lowpan-v6over-btle-01.txt

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Sat, 02 April 2011 15:39 UTC

Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:40:55 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: 6lowpan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] WG adoption of draft-patil-6lowpan-v6over-btle-01.txt

Thanks for clarification,

Le 02/04/2011 17:05, Benjamin A. Rolfe a écrit :
> To further clarify: 802.15.1 is the IEEE standard base standard for
> Bluetooth. If you had said 802.15.1 is to Bluetooth SIG as 802.11 is
>  to WiFi Alliance you would be more correct.

Ok, 802.15.1 is to Bluetooth SIG as 802.11 is to WiFi Alliance.

> 802.15.4 was developed for very different applications and physical
> environments than Bluetooth. They are completely different standards.
> 802.14[5?].1 and 802.15.4 are significantly different MACs, and
> 802.15.4 includes multiple PHY technologies.

Ok.

IMHO BT-LE and 802.15.4 compete in the same application and
physical environment.

> The latest revision (802.15.4-2011) includes the 3 PHY amendments
> approved since 2006, bringing the total of distinct PHYs to 6, with
> multiple banding options within some PHY specifications, all under a
>  single, common MAC.

Ok, I wonder what that MAC is.

> There are at least 5 current task groups working on or finishing up
> further amendments. It has become the most popular downloaded
> standard in the 802 family and has been applied to a large variety of
> very different applications.

Aha, 802.15.4-2011 is a popular download; but I cant find, sorry; by
vote count here, it seems BT-LE is popular as well and I _can_ find the
BT-LE specs.

> Of course Bluetooth (802.15.1) has deployed in billions of devices
> and continues to be included in nearly all consumer devices. It is
> optimized for short physical range, small networks (piconets), low
> energy consumption, and high density of simultaneously operating
> piconets. Most implementations limit TX power and optimize for a
> range of a couple meters or less.

Do you mean that BT is more adapted in more constrained
environments than 802.15.4?

For the range in meters, I read at the 6LoWPAN WG meeting slides that
BT-LE does 50-100meter.

Do you know whether 802.15.4-2011 doc refers to the use of the lowpan
adaptation layer (section 5 of rfc4944)?  Or does it simply say IPv6
(like RFC2460 or so)? I can't find the 802.15.4-2011 document.

Thanks,

Alex