Re: [6tisch] Adding CCA to the terminology draft

Maria Rita PALATTELLA <maria-rita.palattella@uni.lu> Fri, 25 November 2016 10:46 UTC

From: Maria Rita PALATTELLA <maria-rita.palattella@uni.lu>
To: Thomas Watteyne <thomas.watteyne@inria.fr>, "pat.kinney@kinneyconsultingllc.com" <pat.kinney@kinneyconsultingllc.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:39:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.34.0.9]
Cc: Thubert Pascal <pthubert@cisco.com>, 6tisch <6tisch@ietf.org>, Xavi Vilajosana Guillen <xvilajosana@uoc.edu>
Subject: Re: [6tisch] Adding CCA to the terminology draft

Thomas, all,

I have gone through the list of terms in the terminology draft, and I agree there are some terms that we MAY want to DELETE.

In particular:

a) terms specifying forwarding models, defined in the architecture draft, but never used afterward in any other draft. And moreover not in the current std. scope of 6TiSCH

- 6F: IPv6 Forwarding
- FF: 6LoWPAN Fragment Forwarding
- TF: Track Forwarding

b) confusing terms

- CDU matrix - concept related to chunk, but never used, and it created a lot of confusion in the group in the past. We can keep chunk, without the need of CDU

c) terms related to other RFCs, drafts, not 6TiSCH specific

- ARO
- DAR/DAC
- EAR
- NEAR

d) Generic Terms, not really needed for understanding 6TiSCH

- Communication Paradigm
- Interaction Model
- Interference Domain
- NME
- GMPLS
- MAC
- QoS

e) terms introduced but afterward not used anymore (such those related to the queue model)

- I-MUX module
- MUX module
- Operational network key

Moreover, we could also simply:

i) the definition of bundle, currently quite long, by keeping only the first part:

"A group of equivalent scheduled cells, i.e. cells identified by different [slotOffset, channelOffset], which are scheduled for a same purpose, with the same neighbor, with the same flags, and the same slotframe. The size of the bundle refers to the number of cells it contains. For a given slotframe length, the size of the bundle translates directly into bandwidth. A bundle represents a half-duplex link between nodes, one transmitter and one or more receivers, with bandwidth that amounts to the sum of the cells in the bundle."

ii) the current definition of deterministic network:

"A Deterministic Network supports traffic flows with communication patterns that are known a priori. Thus, routing paths and communication schedules can be computed in advance, in a fashion similar to a railway system, to avoid losses due to packet collisions, and to perform global optimizations across multiple flows.  A deterministic network can allocates the required resources (buffers, processors, medium access) along the multi-hop routing path at the precise moment the resources are needed."

with the following: " In the context of 6TiSCH, a network where the packet delivery rate, end-to-end latency and energy consumption of the nodes can be predicted."

Finally, can someone in the 6TiSCH-security team provide some explenation of the "Operational Network" definition:

"A IEEE802.15.4e network whose encryption/authentication keys are determined by some algorithms/protocols. There may be network-wide group keys, or per-link keys."

It is not so clear the link between the term and its definition. Thanks.

Once the group agree in applying the proposed changes, I can update the draft accordingly.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Maria Rita