Re: [6tisch] CoAP resource management - draft-ietf-6tisch-coap-02

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Tue, 11 November 2014 21:20 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: "Raghuram Sudhaakar (rsudhaak)" <rsudhaak@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:20:21 -0500
Sender: mcr@sandelman.ca
Cc: "6tisch@ietf.org" <6tisch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [6tisch] CoAP resource management - draft-ietf-6tisch-coap-02

Raghuram Sudhaakar (rsudhaak) <rsudhaak@cisco.com> wrote:
    > Michael I believe ³version data² may be a misleading word I used in the
    > previous email. What I meant is the version number.

    > The version number uniquely identifies the set of 6top resources that
    > can be accessed on a node. Version number is bumped up when a resource
    > is added, renamed or deleted.

okay, you mean the version of the 6top API; versions are created by standards
action...

    > Heterogenity may arise when new nodes (running an updated
    > implementation which may have added a new resources) are added to
    > existing deployments.  Heterogenity is entirely w.r.t the version
    > number (and consequently the set of 6top resources that can be accessed
    > on the nodes).

Yes, I agree this is an interesting issue.
The problem is what do you do when a v2 node tries to talk to a v1 node... we
need to think about this now, I agree.  I think this is most acute in the
minimal case, as otherwise the PCE can have a notion about what the range of
versions available are, and can cope...  The PCE can speak all versions, so
this means that the nodes do not have to support more than one version.
But, in the minimal case, they have to talk to each other, so there has to be
a discovery process and some adaptation.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-