[alto] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-new-transport-17: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 26 October 2023 10:56 UTC

From: Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-alto-new-transport@ietf.org, alto-chairs@ietf.org, alto@ietf.org, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 03:56:41 -0700
Subject: [alto] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-new-transport-17: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Zaheduzzaman Sarker has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-alto-new-transport-17: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-new-transport/

DISCUSS:

Thanks for working on this specification.

I have following points which I want to discuss further -

- I understand this new transport is supposed to take advantages of HTTP/2 and
HTTP/3 features and have backward compatibility with HTTP/1.x (x=1, likely). My
take is, if I want to server ALTO server over HTTP2/ or HTTP/3 I would use this
new transport. Now if I also want to also support HTTP1.x for whatever reasons
then I have issue, should this new transport is sufficient to support all the
HTTP versions up to HTTP/3? if yes, then why this does specification not update
or even obsolete rfc8895? if the answer is NO, does that mean I need to
implement both this specification and rfc8895 for HTTP1.1? This relation is not
explicitly defined in this current draft, which it should.

- I am not convinced that incremental update actually reduces storage at ALTO
server, how is that so? I don't think there is an strict requirement that all
the ALTO clients need to be updated to the recent version to be functional (as
described in this specification), that means unless the serve is sure that all
the clients are updated to certain version it has to keep the update versions.
As storage reduction is a motivation for the transport requirement this
motivation need to be well described to derive the requirement.

- I didn't find any explanation of how the "Concurrent, non-blocking update
transmission" requirement is meet by the new transport. is this solved by the
use of HTTP/3 with uses QUIC and does not have HOL blocking within a
connection? Or is this addressed by multiple concurrent HTTP connection to the
ALTO server? This need to be understood better and we should define what
actually "Concurrent, non-blocking update transmission" means in this context
of fetching updates.

- The encoding or data type of "updates graph (ug)" and "version" is not
defined. The example uses numeric numbers which is easy to understand with
incremental values. However, unless and otherwise this data type is defined
then it is up to the implementers to select that and which will lead to
interoperability issues. or may be I am missing something here, that is why I
need to discuss the intention here.

-  Here we are composing URIs from the ug , that tells me without proper
encoding on ug defined there might be some internationalization issues (see
rfc6365). Has there been any thoughts or discussions on this encoding and
potential issues?

and I am also supporting Roman's discuss.

COMMENT:

I think my other AD colleagues have already identified nits and typos.