Re: [Anima-bootstrap] joiner router stateful/stateless considerations

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Wed, 20 January 2016 08:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:29:36 +0100
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: anima-bootstrap <anima-bootstrap@ietf.org>, consultancy@vanderstok.org
Subject: Re: [Anima-bootstrap] joiner router stateful/stateless considerations

>  I **SUGGEST** that the anima
> bootstrapping services
>     > both types of networks. That may mean that 2 solutions from the
> ones proposed
>     > in joinrouter document are chosen.
>
> Which two solutions would you pick?

Below are the options for the managed constrained network, right? Thus
one of the 2 solutions.

> From the new node to joining router, we have three options:
>      A) CoAP/DTLS, B) HTTPS, C) HTTPS over HTTP proxy.
>
> I prefer (A) as MTI, with (C) as MAY.

I tend to prefer (A) as I don't understand all consequences of (C)

> From the joining router to the registrar, I prefer method 6, CoAP/DTLS
> with
> IPIP tunnel.  I think that this works the best in a constrained
> network,
> where I do not expect to see an ACP.

Sounds reasonable, will try to think of alternatives.

> At the edge of the contrained network, the 6LBR might have an ACP, and
> would
> further route the join the traffic that way.  The IPIP header might be
> addressed to the 6LBR, and re-encapsulated by the 6LBR as well, but
> that
> would involve some state (methods 1 or 2) on the 6LBR: That may be
> acceptable.
>
> I'm trying also to build a system that could also be initiated from the
> registrar to new node direction, as I've proposed in 6tisch.

I have no preferences on initiaion location for the moment.

> I think that the point is that we don't know (in this document, at this
> stage) precisely if the new node and proxy communicate at layer 2 (e.g.
> 802.1x)
> or layer 3 (PANA, CoAP/HTTP, etc.).  That's why it says "or"

OK, I got it, a specification "xor" and not an operation "or"

peter