Re: [Anima] Not the Intents we were looking for: SUPA Intents

Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com> Fri, 21 August 2015 01:29 UTC

From: Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 01:28:59 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.99.197]
Subject: Re: [Anima] Not the Intents we were looking for: SUPA Intents

Some clarifications regarding to intents in ANIMA WG with my chair hat on:

a) ANIMA does not have intents as chartered work item although we did mention intent in our charter description text.

It means we enough WG participators to discuss the intent and it usage in autonomic networks. Participators are encouraged to submit intent documents as individual drafts, discuss in mail list and apply time slots (giving priority to current chartered work items). But we are unlikely to do some formal work, like adopt intent documents, before rechartering, which it is not expected to happen before September 2016.

b) technically, if we included intent content in our next charter, what ANIMA would concentrate on should be the intent oriented autonomic networks rather than general intent. It mains: a) the intent should be able to understood and performed by every autonomic node, although how to execute on these nodes may be implementation specific, therefore out of ANIMA scope; b) since autonomic network would like to minimize the human input, so the ANIMA intent should carry only the necessary information from network administrators or network customers.

With the above understanding, my individual hat on, I think policy work that SUPA proposed is different from potential ANIMA intent. But when the time for ANIMA to work on ANIMA intent come, we may need to check what SUPA already provided. If something from SUPA are helpful, for example ANIMA intent may be a specific subset or sub-version of SUPA general policy, we may reuse it or start with it.

Best regards,

Sheng