Re: [Anima] Not the Intents we were looking for: SUPA Intents

Duzongpeng <duzongpeng@huawei.com> Thu, 20 August 2015 02:17 UTC

From: Duzongpeng <duzongpeng@huawei.com>
To: John Strassner <strazpdj@gmail.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 02:17:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.149.226]
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Anima WG <anima@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Anima] Not the Intents we were looking for: SUPA Intents

Hi John,

         Some personal understanding to share.

         Although sharing the name “intent”, SUPA intent and ANIMA intent have different motivations and ways to define intent.

         SUPA intent begins with a common information model, while the ANIMA intent will likely be defined by using some use cases first.

         Furthermore, the aim of autonomic is to make intent as less as possible, and as simple as possible to ease the network management jobs.

         ANIMA intent will increase bit-by-bit while the autonomic service agents are being defined bit-by-bit.

IMO, any input from the operator to make the network more autonomic can be considered as an “intent” in ANIMA.

         Currently, perhaps because the use cases are not too many, I do not find too much overlap between SUPA intent and ANIMA intent.

         My suggestion is to develop them separately unless clear evidence is found that autonomic network needs the information model defined in SUPA.

Best Regards
Zongpeng Du