[apps-discuss] R: draft-wilde-profile-link-01 published

Goix Laurent Walter <laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it> Mon, 16 April 2012 03:46 UTC

From: Goix Laurent Walter <laurentwalter.goix@telecomitalia.it>
To: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>, REST Discuss <rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com>, application-layer protocols <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 05:45:51 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, it-IT
x-ti-disclaimer: Disclaimer1
Subject: [apps-discuss] R: draft-wilde-profile-link-01 published

Hello erik,

Thanks for the update.
Such types of link have also been widely used for years together with the webfinger specification (usually under the http://webfinger.net/rel/profile-page rel type for html profile pointers) so I would suppose it will also relate to the wf/swd discussion and that ultimately this draft becomes compatible with the discovery solution ultimately specified. It may be worth adding it as an example.

I would also suggest to emphasize the usage on the "type" attribute together with this link rel to better characterize the type of information a client should expect. Indeed I would expect in some cases more than one of such "profile" link rel to be published within the same document, and the type may be useful for this. E.g. so far in wf the http://webfinger.net/rel/profile-page and http://microformats.org/profile/hcard (and to some extent the http://portablecontacts.net/spec/1.0#me) rel types are widely used to discriminate the expect type of "profile" format/info accessible. It would be valuable to maintain such flexibility.

walter