Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-04.txt

David Lang <david@lang.hm> Mon, 18 May 2015 19:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 12:25:53 -0700
From: David Lang <david@lang.hm>
To: Simon Barber <simon@superduper.net>
Cc: aqm@ietf.org, John Leslie <john@jlc.net>, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
Subject: Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-04.txt

On Mon, 18 May 2015, Simon Barber wrote:

> Thank you Mikeal, these are useful observations about the choice of exact
> DSCP value and various potential impacts. I agree that ultimately without
> operator agreement non of this matters. I do think that an important step
> towards garnering that operator agreement is to have the concerns clearly
> elucidated in this group's recommendations.
>
> I found a study of the interaction between low priority background
> techniques, including LEDBAT and AQM.
>
> http://www.enst.fr/~drossi/paper/rossi12conext.pdf
>
> it's conclusion states:
>
> "Shortly, our investigation confirms the negative interference: while AQM
> fixes the bufferbloat, it destroys the relative priority among Cc protocols."
>
> Apparently a significant chunk of bittorrent traffic and Windows updates use
> these techniques to deprioritise their traffic. Widespread adoption of AQM
> will remove their ability to avoid impacting the network at peak times. Use
> of DSCP could be one way to mitigate this problem with AQM, and this merits
> further study.

Does it matter? If such traffic doesn't interfere significantly with what the
user is trying to do in the forground, it shouldn't matter that it's not being
deprioritized as much.

The big problem before was that such traffic would cause the buffers to build up
and slow everything down. With AQM in place, that concern basically disappears
and the only resulting problem would be that you are maxing out the available
bandwidth unless you deprioritize such traffic.

But if I'm sitting waiting for Windows to download an update, that's now
forground traffic that is preventing me from doing anything else. I don't want
it to be deprioritized behind other people in the house doing other things. I
want it to get it's fair share of bandwidth.

The vast majority of the time, users are going to have enough bandwidth to be
able to share it with such update mechansims. Those of us stuck on low bandwidth
links (I'm currently unable to upgrade beyond 3Mb on my DSL line), are going to
have to accept that when we have multiple things going on, they are going to
impact each other because the sum of the bandwidth each wants is higher than the
available bandwidth.

David Lang