Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-04.txt

Simon Barber <simon@superduper.net> Wed, 13 May 2015 04:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 21:17:45 -0700
From: Simon Barber <simon@superduper.net>
To: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, aqm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-04.txt

Hi Wesley,

Thanks for considering my comments, and apologies for being so late in
the process - I've only recently been able to put time into this area,
and I understand it may be too late in the process to hack things in. I
replied to John with where I'm concerned with the current -11 text.

Re: background / low priority streams. There are other ways to achieve a
'lower priority', such as changing the AIMD parameters. Does not help if
FQ is involved though. My concern is that implementing AQM removes a
capability from the network, so doing so without providing a mechanism
to support low priority is a negative for certain applications (backups,
updates - and the impact these have on other applications). Would be
good for this to be at least common knowledge. Is there any other
document this could go in?

Simon