Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-04.txt

Simon Barber <simon@superduper.net> Sat, 09 May 2015 03:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 20:42:56 -0700
From: Simon Barber <simon@superduper.net>
To: aqm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-recommendation-04.txt

I have a couple of concerns with the recommendations of this document as
they stand. Firstly - implementing AQM widely will reduce or even
possibly completely remove the ability to use delay based congestion
control in order to provide a low priority or background service. I
think there should be a recommendation that if you are implementing AQM
then you should also implement a low priority service using DSCP, e.g.
CS1. This will enable these low priority applications to continue to
work in an environment where AQM is increasingly deployed. Unlike DSCPs
that give higher priority access to the network, a background or low
priority DSCP is not going to be gamed to get better service!

Secondly, there is a recommendation that AQM be implemented both within
classes of service, and across all classes of service. This does not
make sense. If you are implementing AQM across multiple classes of
service, then you are making marks or drops while ignoring what class
the data belongs to. This destroys the very unfairness that you wanted
to achieve by implementing the classes in the first place.

Simon