Re: [auth48] [AD] Re: AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9422 <draft-freed-smtp-limits-07> for your review

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 23 January 2024 19:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:57:19 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Alice Russo <arusso@amsl.com>, "Murray S. Kucherawy" <superuser@gmail.com>
cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, auth48archive <auth48archive@rfc-editor.org>
Subject: Re: [auth48] [AD] Re: AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9422 <draft-freed-smtp-limits-07> for your review

Alice,

Acknowledgments), I think we are, pending Murray's signoff,
done.  Details inline below.

--On Monday, January 22, 2024 14:00 -0800 Alice Russo
<arusso@amsl.com> wrote:

> Hi John, Murray (as AD),
>
> * Murray, please review the changes in Section 3, 3.3, 3.5,
> and corresponding reference updates. For context, John wrote:
>> I think the citation to a section of RFC 5321 in the
>> introduction to Section 3 is normative (as is the citation at
>> the end of Section 2) while the others are informative.  I
>> have laid things out accordingly, but feel free to adjust.
>

> Re:
>> I have made the changes to the [RFCnnnnA] form, paralleling
>> the precedent that Alexis found.
>
> Thank you for sending the updated XML, John. (Actually, it was
> Jean that pointed out the usage in RFC 8753.)

Good.  And sorry for the confusion, please thank Jean for me.

> We are OK with moving forward with the current document, which
> references [RFC5321a],  [RFC5321b], and [RFC5321c]. As for
> changing to numbered citations, we decided to leave them as
> they are (i.e., symRefs="true").

For this document, fine.

With one exception, I think I'm finished with it.  That
exception is that the second paragraph of the second bullet in
the Acknowledgments includes "from people not listed above".
But Phil Pennock is listed above, so:

Old:
	from people not listed above that resulted in document
	changes were received from Amanda Baber (for IANA),
	Linda Dunbar, Paul Kyzivat, and Phil Pennock.

New:
	from people not listed above that resulted in document
	changes were received from Amanda Baber (for IANA),
	Linda Dunbar, and Paul Kyzivat.

I once again regret that conventions have seemed to discourage
acknowledgments to you and your colleagues.  If that has
changed, I should be writing something because this document has
been considerably improved due to your efforts, a contribution
much greater than that of some who were explicitly listed.

Finally, reading through the draft one more time, other things
that might be improved occur to me but, both out of deference to
Ned's text and because we should get this done and move on, I am
suppressing those inclinations.

thanks again,
   john