Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9422 <draft-freed-smtp-limits-07> for your review

Alice Russo <arusso@amsl.com> Thu, 11 January 2024 22:26 UTC

From: Alice Russo <arusso@amsl.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:26:08 -0800
Cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, superuser@gmail.com, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9422 <draft-freed-smtp-limits-07> for your review

John,

Thank you for your careful replies; please see the follow-ups below.
The revised files are here (please refresh):
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9422.html
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9422.txt
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9422.pdf
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9422.xml

This diff file shows all changes from the approved I-D:
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9422-diff.html
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9422-rfcdiff.html (side by side)

This diff file shows only the changes made during AUTH48 thus far:
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9422-auth48diff.html
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9422-auth48rfcdiff.html (side by side)

A- For LIMITS updates, please review and let us know any further changes. In particular, I'm not 100% sure about the removal of quotes in 'LIMITS EHLO (LHLO in LMTP) keyword' in Section 3.

B- Acknowledgments: Decided to leave "A lot of" as is. I see your point; seems sufficiently clear in this context.

C- Sections 4.1 - 4.3: Updated to '"0" not allowed, six-digit maximum'.
I tried out the line break; however, with the indentation that comes with <dl>, this does not look good because the comment is not be under the first line.

A format option here is a sourcecode element in the XML file, as the value syntax is in ABNF. We've done this in Section 4.2 just so you can see how it looks; please let us know your preference, and we'll make them all match.  (The change is primarily in the HTML and PDF; the change in the text output is only a line break after "Value syntax:".) We prefer the simplicity of the output without the sourcecode element.

Side note: For any conclusion here, we'll be sending a mail to IANA to request the text in the registry be updated accordingly.

D- Reference style
I've looked at 5321bis to see examples (e.g., "RFC 2181, Section 10.3 [32]"), but may not understand the implication of "references to Section numbers are part of the citation". If you want changes as follows or otherwise, please let us know.
  Current: Section 4.5.3.1.8 of SMTP [SMTP]
  Perhaps: RFC 5321, Section 4.5.3.1.8 [SMTP]

We will wait to hear from you again before continuing the publication process.
This page shows the AUTH48 status of your document:
  https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9422

Thank you.
RFC Editor/ar