Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9422 <draft-freed-smtp-limits-07> for your review

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 11 January 2024 13:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:51:33 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
cc: superuser@gmail.com, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9422 <draft-freed-smtp-limits-07> for your review

Alice,

Basically a brilliant job.  Thanks.  In particular, you
rationalized Ned's stylistic choices in favor of mine,
particularly capitalization conventions in titles, use of
commas, and my aversion to using citation anchors as nouns.  I
had ignored those in the interest of preserving Ned's text
through the I-D stages, but, now, especially since consistency
is good,...  In addition to the answers to questions in my prior
note, comments and changes appear below (I was going to change
the XML, but there was only one thing ((5) below) that I would
have been willing to make without asking.  I have not sorted out
the "Limits" versus "LIMITS" stuff as per prior notes (Murray's
as well as mine).  I am waiting for that revision to check.

Comments, stylistic nits, and a correction:

(1) In Section 3.5 and probably elsewhere, I was taught, and
continue to believe, that references to Section numbers are part
of the citation, making "(Section 4.5.3.1.8 of SMTP [SMTP])"
awkward.  But I think that is a disagreement about the Style
Guide and not this particular change, so ok.  FWIW, this type of
citation is the main reason I went to numbered references in RFC
5321 and draft-emailcore-rfc5321bis, which I hope you will be
seeing soon.

(2) In Section 4.1 - 4.3, my instinct might have been to write

Old (using 4.1 just as an example):
	Value syntax:  %x31-39 0*5DIGIT ; 0 not allowed, 6-digit maximum

Maybe:
	Value syntax:  %x31-39 0*5DIGIT ; "0" not allowed, six-digit
maximum

Comment:
	Matter of taste.  The change to "0" and "six" would make
	it more clear that it was a comment.   It would be even
	more clear if the layout were changed to

	Value syntax:  %x31-39 0*5DIGIT
        ; "0" not allowed, six-digit maximum

	Make any of these adjustments, all, or none as you
	prefer, just do it consistently throughout the document.

(3) Section 7.1: Several good catches in addition to the normal
transformation.  Thanks.

(4) Section 3, first sentence:

OLD:
	Extensions to SMTP are defined in Section 2.2 of SMTP
	[SMTP].  [LMTP] inherits...

NEW:
	Extensions to SMTP are defined in Section 2.2 of SMTP
	[SMTP].  LMTP [LMTP] inherits...

Comment:
	Whoops -- got one and not the other.  To save you a
	few seconds:
	<xref target="RFC2033" format="default">LMTP</xref>
	inherits

Above is based on the diffs.  I will try to do a complete read
through in parallel with your attacking the "LIMITS" question.

thanks again,
    john

--On Monday, January 8, 2024 23:07 -0800