Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9422 <draft-freed-smtp-limits-07> for your review

Alice Russo <arusso@amsl.com> Mon, 05 February 2024 19:27 UTC

From: Alice Russo <arusso@amsl.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 11:27:47 -0800
Cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, auth48archive <auth48archive@rfc-editor.org>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, "Murray S. Kucherawy" <superuser@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9422 <draft-freed-smtp-limits-07> for your review

Murray,
Thanks for your reply. We have noted your approval on the AUTH48 page for this document (https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9422).

John,
Another question:  Is it OK to change to all-caps "MAIL Parameters" to match how it appears on the IANA page (https://www.iana.org/assignments/mail-parameters)?  We typically aim for the document to match the IANA page as closely as possible; my mistake for missing this earlier.

Section 7.2

OLD: The IANA has created a new registry in the Mail Parameters group for ...
NEW: The IANA has created a new registry in the "MAIL Parameters" group for ...

Thank you.
RFC Editor/ar

> [...]
>>

>> Re: C (Sections 4.1 - 4.3)
>>> I have not changed it back in the attached XML.
>>
>> We are in agreement about not using <sourcecode>; accordingly, the example (in Section 4.2) has been changed back.
>>
>> Please let us know any further changes or if the document is approved for publication.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> RFC Editor/ar
>>

>>> On Jan 19, 2024, at 4:19 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Alice and others,
>>>
>>> In the interest of not having this drag on further and
>>> especially after noticing that the section number citations in
>>> running code do not read smoothly and consistently either, I
>>> have made the changes to the [RFCnnnnA] form, paralleling the
>>> precedent that Alexis found.
>>>
>>> I am blind-copying Alexis on this note as a contribution to the
>>> larger conversation but assume she does not want to get dragged
>>> into the details of this draft).   I've also made my comments on
>>> the "how to cite a section" issue as a top post; everything else
>>> is inline in your message to me.
>>>
>>> Murray, see comment at the end of my response to "A-" below.
>>> Everything else is, IMO, routine editorial stuff or tied up with
>>> the citation discussion immediately below.
>>>
>>> Having made the changes, it is clear that the current version of
>>> the RFCXML vocabulary is not friendly to that format.  First,
>>> one ends up with, e.g.,
>>>  Section 2.2, RFC 5321,
>>> rather than
>>>  RFC 5321 Section 2.2
>>> which I think would be better.  If you (collectively) agree,
>>> then <refcontent> may need some attributes similar to what now
>>> appear in <xref> to fine-tune ordering of information or a new
>>> element is needed to put text after <seriesInfo> and before
>>> date.  In addition, if it were possible to use <xref> as an
>>> element of <reference> it would eliminate that problem, make
>>> life much easier for you as well as authors, and even, with
>>> appropriate tooling, allow
>>>
>>> [RFC5321a] SMTP, _ibid._, Section 2.2
>>>
>>> which is, IMO, really what we want here (plus or minus brackets
>>> around "SMTP"). It would also make editing a rfc9422bis to
>>> reflect rfc5321bis and _its_ section numbers much easier.   It
>>> you wanted to include a <target> URL with the Section
>>> references, it would also make having that point to a section
>>> more clear and more obvious.
>>>
>>> I think the citation to a section of RFC 5321 in the
>>> introduction to Section 3 is normative (as is the citation at
>>> the end of Section 2) while the others are informative.  I have
>>> laid things out accordingly, but feel free to adjust.
>>>
>>> I have left comments in the XML that act as reminders of the
>>> original version of the citations in running text (all including
>>> "[JcK]".  You should remove them.
>>>
>>> There are some additional comments about details in "D-", below.
>>>
>>> Finally on this subject, if citation anchors in the form of
>>> "[RFC1234a]" offend your sense of aesthetics (they don't do much
>>> for me either), feel free to change them to numbered citations,