Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9324 <draft-ietf-sidrops-rov-no-rr-08> for your review

Rebecca VanRheenen <rvanrheenen@amsl.com> Wed, 07 December 2022 05:55 UTC

From: Rebecca VanRheenen <rvanrheenen@amsl.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 21:55:09 -0800
Cc: RFC Editor <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, sidrops-ads@ietf.org, sidrops-chairs@ietf.org, Chris Morrow <morrowc@ops-netman.net>, Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Keyur Patel <keyur@arrcus.com>, pfsinoz@gmail.com, mark@tinka.africa
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9324 <draft-ietf-sidrops-rov-no-rr-08> for your review

Hi Randy,

Thank you for your reply! We have updated the document accordingly. We have a couple of followup questions:

>> 3) <!-- [rfced] We have two questions about this sentence:
>>
>> Original:
>>   When doing RPKI-based Route Origin Validation (ROV) ([RFC6811] and [RFC8481]),
>>   and similar RPKI-based policy, if such a BGP speaker receives new
>>   RPKI data, it might not have kept paths previously marked as Invalid
>>   etc.
>>
>> a) We do not see "RPKI-based Route Origin Validation (ROV)" in RFCs 6811 and
>> 8481. Are any updates needed here? Note that in RFC 9319, the following
>> sentence was included:
>>
>>   Please note that the term "RPKI-based Route Origin Validation" and the
>>   corresponding acronym "RPKI-ROV" that are used in this document mean the same
>>   as the term "Prefix Origin Validation" used in [RFC6811].
>
> good point.  stealing the hack from 9319 seems fine, as does changing
> Route Origin to Prefix; though i might prefer the former becuase the
> word "origin" is important.

What do you think about adding the following at the end of Section 2? Or is another location in the document better? (Note that we will ask the AD to approve added text.)

   Note that the term "RPKI-based Route Origin Validation" in
   this document means the same as the term "Prefix Origin Validation"
   used in [RFC6811].

>> 8) <!-- [rfced] Terminology
>>
>> a) We note inconsistencies in the terms listed below. We chose the form on the
>> right. Please let us know any objections.
>>
>> Route Server vs. route server
>>  Note: The lowercase form is used in RFC 7947 and is more common in the RFC Series.
>>
>> BGP Speaker vs. BGP speaker
>>

>> b) We see instances of both "Route Refresh" (capitalized) and "route
>> refresh" (lowercase) in the document. Should the capitalization be
>> consistent? Please review and let us know if any updates are needed.
>> -->
>>

> All fine

Are any changes needed for part b of this question? We are not sure if your response applies to both parts of our question or to only part a, so we want to confirm.

——————————

Updated XML file:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9324.xml

Updated output files:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9324.txt
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9324.pdf
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9324.html

Diff file showing changes made during AUTH48:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9324-auth48diff.html

Diff files showing all changes:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9324-diff.html
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9324-rfcdiff.html (side-by-side diff)

For the AUTH48 status of this document, please see:
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9324

Thank you,

RFC Editor/rv