Re: [auth48] [AD] [C350] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9331 <draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-29> for your review

Karen Moore <kmoore@amsl.com> Fri, 16 December 2022 00:26 UTC

From: Karen Moore <kmoore@amsl.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 16:26:41 -0800
Cc: RFC Editor <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, tsvwg-ads@ietf.org, tsvwg-chairs@ietf.org, Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
To: Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>, koen.de_schepper@nokia.com, Martin Duke <martin.h.duke@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [auth48] [AD] [C350] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9331 <draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-29> for your review

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the updated files; these changes are now reflected in our files. Within the XML file, we have responded to your new notes with “[RFC Editor 3]” (all of your updates are agreeable). Below are responses to your comments within this email.

Notes:
1) For "[DCttH19]”, we updated the URL from "https://bobbriscoe.net/pubs.html#DCttH_TR” to "https://bobbriscoe.net/projects/latency/dctth_journal_draft20190726.pdf”.

2) We added “Burstiness” as a keyword for this document and have asked for it to be added to 9330 as well.

3) Acknowledging the proposed rephrase of text in Section 5.1; will have Martin approve it.

4) Acknowledging that the set of 3 changes for “mark” or “marking” is agreeable.

FILES
(Please refresh)

The updated XML file is here:
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331.xml

The updated output files are here:
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331.txt
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331.pdf
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331.html

These diff files show all changes made during AUTH48:
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-auth48diff.html
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-rfcdiff.html (side by side)

These diff files show changes made during the last editing round:
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-lastdiff.html
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-lastrfcdiff.html (side by side)

This diff file shows all changes made to date:
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-diff.html

Please contact us with any further updates or with your approval of the document in its current form.  We will await approvals from each author and the AD prior to moving forward in the publication process.

For the AUTH48 status of this document, please see:
 https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9331

Best regards,

RFC Editor/kc

> [...]
>
> if packets originally marked ECT(0)
> -> if packets originally set to ECT(0)
>
> mis-marked bursty traffic
> -> mis-identified bursty traffic
>
> if the most recent ECT packet in the same flow had been marked ECT(0)
> -> if the most recent ECT packet in the same flow had been set to ECT(0)
>
> There are no incorrect instances of 'mark' in RFC-to-be 9330.
> For RFC-to-be 9332, I'll deal with this issue when I send my first review email shortly.
>
> FILES
> I've attached edited XML rfc9331g.xml
> And an rfcdiff from your latest (rfc9331f)
>
> Thank you again,
>

> Bob
>

>> --------
>> FILES
>> (Please refresh)
>>
>> The updated XML file is here:
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331.xml
>>
>> The updated output files are here:
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331.txt
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331.pdf
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331.html
>>
>> These diff files show all changes made during AUTH48:
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-auth48diff.html
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-rfcdiff.html (side by side)
>>
>> These diff files show changes made during the last editing round:
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-lastdiff.html
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-lastrfcdiff.html (side by side)
>>
>> This diff file shows all changes made to date:
>>  https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9331-diff.html
>>
>> Please contact us with any further updates or with your approval of the document in its current form.  We will await approvals from each author prior to moving forward in the publication process.
>>
>> For the AUTH48 status of this document, please see:
>> https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9331
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> RFC Editor/kc
>>

>>> On Dec 11, 2022, at 2:18 PM, Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Karen, See [BB2] inline.

>>> [BB] Thank you. All AOK, except the three with responses below...

>>> [BB2] Pls could you make RFC9330 consistent with this (if only to avoid it causing a diff in the terminology section).

>>> [BB2] Sorry, I should have been clearer when I said "consistent with RFC9330". I meant:
>>> * For technologies that most readers know by their abbreviations, I have avoided expansion where it would make a sentence unreasonably long or complex, and instead  expansion is either deferred to a later sentence, referred to via citation, or both.
>>> * For a technology that is only mentioned in passing, I have expanded, rather than using a citation.
>>> * Excessive expansion of abbreviations tends to be more of an issue in the Abstract/Introduction. Later in a doc, I've used expansion more liberally.
>>>
>>> Specifically:
>>> AQM is already expanded in the abstract.

>>> VPN
>>> ACK
>>> RACK
>>> DupACK
>>> CDN
>>> Ex-ToS
>>> DOCSIS
>>> RoCEv2
>>> A2DTCP
>>> VCP
>>>
>>> And I've explained the rest via their citations:
>>> FQ-CoDel
>>> PIE
>>> ABE
>>> TRILL