Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9551 <draft-ietf-detnet-oam-framework-11> for your review

Megan Ferguson <mferguson@amsl.com> Tue, 05 March 2024 18:16 UTC

From: Megan Ferguson <mferguson@amsl.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 11:16:11 -0700
Cc: CARLOS JESUS BERNARDOS CANO <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>, "Georgios Z. Papadopoulos" <georgios.papadopoulos@imt-atlantique.fr>, Fabrice Theoleyre <fabrice.theoleyre@cnrs.fr>, "\"Balázs A. Varga\"" <balazs.a.varga@ericsson.com>, RFC Editor <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, janos.farkas@ericsson.com, detnet-ads@ietf.org, DetNet Chairs <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
To: Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9551 <draft-ietf-detnet-oam-framework-11> for your review

Hi Greg,

Good question.  Thanks for asking!

This is a quote of a partial sentence from RFC 7799, which fully states.

   Hybrid Methods are Methods of Measurement that use a combination of
   Active Methods and Passive Methods, to assess Active Metrics, Passive
   Metrics, or new metrics derived from the a priori knowledge and
   observations of the stream of interest.

We were attempting to communicate that the full sentence was not included.
However, upon digging deeper, we see in the Chicago Manual of Style:

Ellipses are normally not used (1) before the first word of a quotation, even
if the beginning of the original sentence has been omitted; or (2) after the last
word of a quotation, even if the end of the original sentence has been omitted,
unless the sentence as quoted is deliberately incomplete (see 13.55).

Because the quoted material could be a full (grammatically complete) sentence,
we have reverted this change as requested.

The files have been posted here (please refresh):
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9551.txt
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9551.pdf
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9551.html
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9551.xml

The relevant diff files have been posted here (please refresh):
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9551-diff.html (comprehensive diff)
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9551-auth48diff.html (AUTH48 changes only)
   https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9551-lastdiff.html (last to current version only)

The AUTH48 status page for this document is available here:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/auth48/rfc9551

Thank you.

RFC Editor/mf