RE: [AVT] T.38 over RTP: RTP Sequence Number

"Vladimir Ulybin" <Vladimir@audiocodes.com> Mon, 25 July 2005 09:36 UTC

Subject: RE: [AVT] T.38 over RTP: RTP Sequence Number
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:36:25 +0300
From: Vladimir Ulybin <Vladimir@audiocodes.com>
To: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, "Mundra, Satish" <smundra@ti.com>, avt@ietf.org
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

Paul,

First of all, the RFC 3550 allows groups of consecutive packets with the
same timestamp: "Several consecutive RTP packets will have equal
timestamps if they are (logically) generated at once". So, T.38 gateway
should be able to receive correctly such sequences.

Second, simple examples of the case when some T.38 packets may have the
same timestamp:
1. The command "hdlc-fcs-OK-sig-end" may be sent as a single packet or
as two consecutive packets "hdlc-fcs-OK" and "hdlc-sig-end" generated at
once.
2. The command "hdlc-fcs-OK" followed by "hdlc-data" may be sent as one
complex primary packet or as two consecutive packets generated at once.

And I may give more examples.

I agree with you, that current standards do not make "preference for RFC
2198, RFC 2733, or any other mode".

It is our local preference of RFC 2198 for T.38-over-RTP, because it is
similar to T.38 UDPTL with secondary fax packets. The problem is in
strict confinements by timestamps which are not used in fax relay, do
not give any gain in reliability, and require so many changes that cause
us not to use RFC 2198 as is for fax.

The "draft-smundra-avt-rtp-red-non-audio-00.txt", by Satish Mundra,
solves all these problems, because it assigns a highest priority to
sequence numbers similarly to T.38 UDPTL and applies sequence number
offsets in RFC 2198 instead of timestamp offsets. This extension of RFC
2198 is simply convertible into T.38 UDPTL and back.

Our questions:
1. Can we use "draft-smundra-avt-rtp-red-non-audio-00.txt"?
2. Is it possible to include this extension in RFC 2198 or generate new
RFC 2198bis taking into account this draft?

Thanks,
Vladimir Ulybin