RE: [AVT] T.38 over RTP: RTP Sequence Number

"Vladimir Ulybin" <Vladimir@audiocodes.com> Sun, 24 July 2005 05:57 UTC

Subject: RE: [AVT] T.38 over RTP: RTP Sequence Number
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 08:57:42 +0300
From: Vladimir Ulybin <Vladimir@audiocodes.com>
To: "Mundra, Satish" <smundra@ti.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

Satish,

Sorry for response delay.

>From my point of view, the "draft-smundra-avt-rtp-red-non-audio-00.txt"
may be considered as a basic concept of redundancy transmission for
T.38-over-RTP. For T.38 applications, the timestamps "lose their
significance and sequence numbers as alone are of interest".

What is the status of this draft?

I have two main comments:

1. According to T.38, the marker bits of RFC 3550 are not used for T.38
over RTP. So, I suggest to declare the 'M' bit field in RFC 2198 as
optional for non-T.38 applications and reserved (==zero) for T.38.

2. The parameter 'level' is not enough for fax transfer. Usually, T.30
control packets (T.30 INDICATORs and T.30 control channel DATA) are
transmitted at one level (for example, 3), while TCF/image DATA packets
are transferred at the same or lower level (for example, 1). So, I
suggest one more parameter 'levelT30' for T.30 control packets. If
'levelT30' is not specified, the parameter 'level' is applied both for
T.30 control and TCF/image packets.

Some minor comments to the text declaring the need of new interpretation
of RFC 2198 for non-audio applications may be added if you are ready to
develop new version of the draft.

Regards,
Vladimir Ulybin