Re: [AVT] T.38 over RTP: RTP Sequence Number

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Wed, 20 July 2005 07:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:48:42 +0200
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Vladimir Ulybin <Vladimir@audiocodes.com>
Subject: Re: [AVT] T.38 over RTP: RTP Sequence Number
Cc: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, avt@ietf.org
Sender: avt-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

I think a lot of the problems you are having is based on the fact you
are using RFC 2198 for something it wasn't designed for. It was designed
and works as intended for audio payloads that relies on a single data
block (ADU) per timestamp. The formats that fulfill this can for
synchronization and detecting duplicates rely solely on timestamp. It
uses the RTP timestamp primarily to detect when discontinuous
transmissions occur. RFC 2198 doesn't have full sequence number recovery
due to the fact that it wasn't needed for all the audio payloads one was
considering to use. Also the solution RFC 2198 employs aren't suitable
at all when the payloads become larger than half of the MTU.

If you want sequence number recovery, less hassle with timestamps and
so: Use RFC 2733 FEC resolves these issue. Or rather the updated version
as RFC 2733 has some issues. Unfortunately we haven't finished this
update yet, but we are getting close.

Vladimir Ulybin wrote:
> Let consider an option to update the "draft-jones-avt-audio-t38-05.txt"
> or write a new draft for T.38 over RTP.

This is an ITU defined RTP payload format. I agree that it has issues
and some of them could have been avoided if ITU had involved AVT in the
loop earlier when it was under proposal. However it is ITU that has
change control of it.

> I think the problems opened in our discussions
> - repetition of T.38 packets and

If you are using RTP you have certain rules to follow. These involve the
fact that packets can't be repeated using the same RTP sequence number.
This requires solution like the RTP Retransmission format or the use of
2733 FEC.

> - excessive complexity of T.38 over RTP caused by timestamps
> (non-required by T.38)

As Colin says RTP timestamps must be set in RTP. However one can make
them simple to only indicate time of transmission. This would be simpler
if people hadn't insisted on making it go over the same RTP session as
audio. FAX isn't audio and it shouldn't be handled the same way as audio
packets. Thus it should go in its own RTP session where it can be given
somewhat different treatment. Yes, audio/t38 should in fact be image/t38
or possibly application/t38.

Then as I said, stop using RFC 2198 and your timestamp issues mostly
goes away.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A