Re: [AVTCORE] Leap seconds

Jamie Gordon <jgordon@real.com> Wed, 14 September 2011 19:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:06:23 -0700
From: Jamie Gordon <jgordon@real.com>
To: Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com>
Cc: "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Leap seconds

RTP timestamps are not monotonically increasing nor based on UTC,
they are based on media sampling/rendering time (based on a
monotonically increasing sampling/playback clock).

Leap second is only relevant if you need to accurately consider the NTP
time as a UTC date/time, which RTP/RTCP do not need at all - per 3550
the NTP timestamp in the SR is not required to represent the actual
wallclock UTC time! It is present to allow conveyance and calculation
of elapsed times, for purposes such as audio/video sync and RTT
estimation, and should be based on actual elapsed time rather than
calendar time.

Receivers do not expect - or certainly should not expect - the RTCP NTP
clock to change midstream due to leap seconds and senders should not
change it. Once that clock starts the important thing is to maintain
proper elapsed time, rather than using a wallclock time which might
change due to leap second, or even due to the system re-synching to an
SNTP server, or the user changing the current time.

-Jamie