RE: I-D ACTION:draft-andersson-mpls-g-chng-proc-00.txt

Shahram Davari <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com> Wed, 05 March 2003 22:45 UTC

From: Shahram Davari <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com>
To: "'curtis@fictitious.org'" <curtis@fictitious.org>
Cc: Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com>, "'Mark.Jones@mail.sprint.com'" <Mark.Jones@mail.sprint.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, mpls@UU.NET
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-andersson-mpls-g-chng-proc-00.txt
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:45:05 -0800

Thanks for your clarification. A couple of points:

1) Is the decision on how to deal with extension requests, an IESG
decision or an IETF consensus is required?

2) No one can stop other SDOs from extending any IETF protocol

3) The draft says:

   "No individual, vendor, SDO or forum should be able create what is viewed
   to be a major extension to an IETF protocol on its own and
   legitimately be able to claim that implementations that implement the
   extension are compliant to the IETF specification."

So if the other SDOs don't claim IETF compliance, rather they claim their
respective organizations compliance, there should not be any problem. And if
they mess up nobody would blame IETF for that.

-Shahram