RE: I-D ACTION:draft-andersson-mpls-g-chng-proc-00.txt

Shahram Davari <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com> Thu, 06 March 2003 15:10 UTC

From: Shahram Davari <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com>
To: "'curtis@fictitious.org'" <curtis@fictitious.org>
Cc: Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com>, "'Mark.Jones@mail.sprint.com'" <Mark.Jones@mail.sprint.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, mpls@UU.NET
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-andersson-mpls-g-chng-proc-00.txt
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 07:10:19 -0800

>> 1) Is the decision on how to deal with extension requests, an IESG
>> decision or an IETF consensus is required?
>
>If it is published as an informational recommendation by the IESG,
>then no.  The IESG does have veto power over internet-drafts that are
>on the standards track, therefore it might be worth paying attention
>to their recommendations.

Using their veto power against IETF community's consensus, seems "a complete breakdown of relationship" between IETF community and IESG.

>btw- I should also point out that Scott Bradner does not make this
>stuff up without talking to the other members of the IESG.

I know. but IESG != IETF

>> 2) No one can stop other SDOs from extending any IETF protocol
>
>True.
>
>> 3) The draft says:
>>
>>    "No individual, vendor, SDO or forum should be able
>create what is viewed
>>    to be a major extension to an IETF protocol on its own and
>>    legitimately be able to claim that implementations that
>implement the
>>    extension are compliant to the IETF specification."
>>
>> So if the other SDOs don't claim IETF compliance, rather
>they claim their
>> respective organizations compliance, there should not be any
>problem. And if
>> they mess up nobody would blame IETF for that.
>
>This would represent a complete breakdown of relationships.  I'm not
>making any value judgement, just an observation.

Why? are you saying that if an SDO wants to define a brand new protocol (let's say MPLSv2),
but to reuse some parts of an existing IETF protocol, then they shouldn't do it because
IETF will get mad at them?

-Shahram