Re: [CCAMP] Overlay model framework v2

Gert Grammel <ggrammel@juniper.net> Thu, 17 January 2013 17:40 UTC

From: Gert Grammel <ggrammel@juniper.net>
To: Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>, Igor Bryskin <IBryskin@advaoptical.com>, Snigdho Bardalai <SBardalai@infinera.com>, CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:38:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.159.4]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Overlay model framework v2

Daniele,Igor,

The discussion shows that the term 'provider' is confusing.
Daniele seems to associate the 'provider' term to a service provider that doesn't want to export topology. However this is a policy decision and is not defining the overlay model.

The term 'provider' in the overlay model refers to a control plane entity that provides topology information to a 'client'.
Note that I dislike terms (Client, provider) that are associated to an organizational relationship rather than a technical boundary.
So what about naming it 'exported virtual topology'?
The term 'virtual' shall indicate that a virtual entity MAY not have a physical correspondence. So if any, I propose to skip the term provider and use 'server' instead.

Gert