RE: Working Group Status

{3COM/PDD/PeteW}@pdd.3mail.3com.com Wed, 07 July 1993 11:24 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1993 11:58:00 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: {3COM/PDD/PeteW}@pdd.3mail.3com.com
Subject: RE: Working Group Status
To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu
Msg-Date: 1993-07-07
Msg-Time: 11:58

Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Wilson, Peter
To:  Chassis MIB
Date: 1993-07-07 11:54
Message ID: C3308B74
Conversation ID: C3308B74

Bob,
I too have been a bit to quiet for a couple of weeks, again because of real
work pressure
and being out of the office for a while. I thought this was fairly safe
given that the list was
fairly quiet and most things appeared to be agreed with the exception of the
resource-entity
relationship. I've just printed the June 24 draft from the archives.

> *** Call for Consensus ***
>
> Assuming that we have a relatively up-to-date draft, I propose that we
drop it
> in the laps of the Network Management Area Director and his Directorate.
 They
> may a) pass it on as a Proposed Standard, b) extend our charter, pick a
chair
> that will actually help, and ask that it be improved in specific ways, c)
> terminate the working group, or d) do something else they think of.

I hardly recognised the current document! There was pressure to make the
resource
to entity mapping many to many, although I still think this is an over
complication its
something I can live with. However significant changes and complication
seem to have taken place for which there is little explanation in the mail
list and
little justification. The resulting MIB cannot easily answer

When I made my proposal at the Columbus meeting I was very careful to
illustrate
how the MIB could be used to manage boxes available now. I provided a number
of
examples to the list that showed this. I also put a great deal of effort
into thinking
in terms of a generic management application for a chassis. If a generic
management
application cannot be written then there is no point in having a standard
MIB!

Another important point was to be very clear as to definitions for the
various elements
used to describe the chassis. If these definitions are unclear then there
will be
confusion and multiple different interpretations. My definitions came from
analogy with
the real world and so were easy to understand. That is why my original
proposal used the
term 'component' rather than 'resource', because it means something to most
people.

My definitions were fairly tight: A chassis comprises a number of physical
locations which
may or may not be occupied by a module. Each module comprises a number of
components or
resources (one module contains multple components, each component resides on
a single
module). The resources of the chassis are organised into functional
entities, such as
repeaters, bridges, routers etc. I kept the relationship between resource
and entity 1-to-1
for simplicity and accepted the more artificial desciption of some
configurations. This last
point seems to have caused people understandable problems, 1-to-1 is a real
restriction. With a reasonable MIB i-resource-to-many-entities would be
acceptable.

The definitions and model have now changed. Now there appears to be a many
to many
relationship between a resource and a module! A resource can be part of
several modules?
What is a resource in the real world?

There have been no examples of how this new model is to be used in example
configurations
(including actual MIB values). It appears that different things have changed
within the MIB
with no concern for the overall effect on the MIB. These changes also seem
to have been
driven almost entirely by chassis developers wanting a change to support, in
the easiest way,
their particular MIB with no thought to the generic management application.

At Columbus I felt there was reasonable concensus between a reasoable number
of people for
the new model, accepting some of the limitations in favour of a practical
solution. I think
the current MIB changes that model in a number of fundamental ways and that
the new model has
not been presented, is not understood and is not really usable for an
application.

I'm disappointed in the current draft and would not recommend presenting it
to the Directorate. If you're
to forward anything I would suggest an earlier draft that has some of the
new 'features' removed.
Leaving the content aside the latest version is has more MIB errors than the
previous versions which
were more stable. The text at the front of the document bears no resemblance
to the (Columbus) model
or MIB, and very good text is required for a MIB of this complexity!

I was hoping these concerns could be aired at the Amsterdam  meeting and so
I'm _very_ dissappointed
it has been cancelled. Without that meeting I don't think we have anything
in a fit state to send to
draft standard. I was under the impression from the mail sent around by
Marshall that we'd had a
reprieve after the progress made at the last meeting to get something done
by the Amsterdam meeting,
I assumed this included a meeting in Amsterdam.

As much as I hate to say this, and I've put a LOT of work into this MIB, we
ought to admit defeat due to
administrative problems (SNMPv2 taking the limelight, work pressures on the
chair(s) resulting in lack of
strong direction) and restart the group with a strong chairperson with a
time to allocate to the group. I don't
mean to critisise Bob by this statement, I know how real work pressures
build up, I've been there, am there and
have no doubt that I will be there again :-)

I will be sending seperate comments on the actual MIB.

Pete