Re: [codec] #1: Application: 2.1. Point to point calls supporting transcoding?

"Dr. Christian Hoene" <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de> Sat, 03 April 2010 17:16 UTC

Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 19:16:30 +0200
From: "Dr. Christian Hoene" <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>
To: Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net>
Cc: codec@ietf.org, stephen botzko <stephen.botzko@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [codec] #1: Application: 2.1. Point to point calls supporting transcoding?

Quoting Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net>:

> Any testing of tandem coding can only be about the audio quality.
> There is no binary question about whether "it works" or not, because
> any two codecs do indeed work together when connected through audio.
>
> I don't see a need to add tandem testing to the requirements.
> Quality will be high when operating towards the high end of the
> range in bitrates mentioned in the requirements, and tandem quality
> will be limited by the other codec. For lower bitrates the quality
> naturally goes down.. not sure what to test?

Assuming two codecs, for example, CELT and AMR-WB, you must compare
all CELT modes (about 16) against all AMR-WB modes (about 16), using
different sample contents (4), and with noise and without (2).
Typically, you need 8 ratings from different persons to get precise
results. Actually, one needs to make the tests in at least two
different labs. Thus, only 65536 listening-only ratings are required.
These results you put in a document that is not public accessible and
that nobody will read.

Then everybody will believe that transcoding is a good idea and should
be done at least twice in every call.

  Christian