Re: [codec] #1: Application: 2.1. Point to point calls supporting transcoding?

Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net> Sat, 03 April 2010 15:44 UTC

Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 08:44:39 -0700
From: Koen Vos <koen.vos@skype.net>
To: stephen botzko <stephen.botzko@gmail.com>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] #1: Application: 2.1. Point to point calls supporting transcoding?

Any testing of tandem coding can only be about the audio quality.
There is no binary question about whether "it works" or not, because
any two codecs do indeed work together when connected through audio.

I don't see a need to add tandem testing to the requirements.  Quality
will be high when operating towards the high end of the range in
bitrates mentioned in the requirements, and tandem quality will be
limited by the other codec. For lower bitrates the quality naturally
goes down.. not sure what to test?

koen.

Quoting stephen botzko: