Re: [Coin] Semantic Routing : Abstract definition? Architectural formulation?

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 08 March 2022 17:05 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 18:05:47 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Nirmala Shenoy <nxsvks@rit.edu>
Cc: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "coin@irtf.org" <coin@irtf.org>, 'Carsten Bormann' <cabo@tzi.org>, "'Bernier, Daniel'" <daniel.bernier@bell.ca>, 'Dirk Kutscher' <ietf@dkutscher.net>, "ott@in.tum.de" <ott@in.tum.de>
Subject: Re: [Coin] Semantic Routing : Abstract definition? Architectural formulation?

Thanks, Nirmala

And on top of everything Nirmala nicely summarized, i can pile up another layer
of the problem, which is how to solve all these problems according to the constraints
of the target network.

On one end you can have a constrained IoT network where every hop has a good amount
of compute but you must save every bit on the wire you can and you actually want
the compute to be as seldom as possible, because you also want to save battery by
sleeping the CPU.

On the other end of the spectrum, 100Gbps++, you want to minimize the amount of
memory read-cycles necessary for forwarding, and even more so write cycles. At least
on the fastest of routers, so-called P-nodes. You may be willing to spend maybe
up to 10x the amount of read/write cycles on an edge-node, aka: on the beginning and
end of a path or domain.

And there is a whole set of more issues related to implementation challenges,
or shall i say the programmability model ?

I don't think i have seen these issues collected anywhere well though.

Cheers
    Toerless