Re: [Coin] Semantic Routing : Abstract definition? Architectural formulation?

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 09 March 2022 09:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 10:47:03 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <marie@mjmontpetit.com>
Cc: Nirmala Shenoy <nxsvks@rit.edu>, Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, "coin@irtf.org" <coin@irtf.org>, "ott@in.tum.de" <ott@in.tum.de>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, "Bernier, Daniel" <daniel.bernier@bell.ca>, Dirk Kutscher <ietf@dkutscher.net>
Subject: Re: [Coin] Semantic Routing : Abstract definition? Architectural formulation?

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 07:14:43PM -0500, Marie-Jose Montpetit wrote:
> Hi Toerless:
>
> You are indeed listing issues that may not have been collected although I
> would guess that the Barefoot people and other PISA architecture
> implementers must have addressed at least some if not all of these.
>
> As worthy as these are we would call these engineering issues (constraints
> of memory, power etc.) and we are not an engineering group. Can you
> formulate research questions around those?

The presentation slot i asked for should be a good start for COIN folks
to understand past and current research questions related to mapping
of network layer protocol/service goals to current or future available
programmable forwarding plane functionalities.

Alas for something like a simple charter ( ;-) ) but luckily for the
variety of researcher interests there is IMHO not the one single simple
question like the "we need more addresses for the future Internet in 1990".
but its a whole forest of questions.

If i where to try to find the range of questions it is maybe from:

  I) what is the maximum/best set of functionality required/beneficial
    hop-by-hop in networks (aka: not better done in higher layers).

    That to me is the semantic addressing question.

down to effectively how to do it:

  II) What is the minimum set of programming paradigms for high-speed hardware
    to build all of I) at minimum cost / maximum flexibility and how to build
    those.

    Examples here are PIFO/PIEO, which are a good maybe with PIEO functionlly
    complete but where i still have not seen goood scaleable logic designs, e.g.:
    that scale with less than #flows supported.

    In contrast, for example the UBS (urgency based scheduling) algorithm
    and mathemathical proof reduced the scale requirements of regulator
    elements from #flows to (#interfaces * #priorities), aka: for
    industrial use an important scale improvement to build less expensive HW.

    Aka: the biggest architectural/research challenge is certainly packet scheduling,
    not packet modifications.

And of course there is a circular relationship. If we come up with semantics
that turn out to be too costly to be done well in hardware, then we likely have
to say that it must better happen at higher layers, or not hop-by-hop but
edge-to-edge. ICN for example is lingering on that IMHO, primarily because
of the storage needs, which are today considered to be inappropriately
expensvie hop-by-hop.

But i think we can have some initial architecture , namely recognizing exactly
those different layers:

  - hop-by-hop programmability / semantics
  - edge-node programmavbility / semantic
  - "compute-only" + more storge programmability / semantics

Just as a rough start this is how i would structure the different targets,
but of course wide open to discussion.

    Implementations btw. means

solution goals and mapping that to the better availavle (or not yet available)
underlying
The four examples from past and ongoing research that i proposed as a talk
are examples of