Re: [Coin] Semantic Routing : Abstract definition? Architectural formulation?

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 09 March 2022 18:42 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 19:42:44 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Jon Crowcroft <jon.crowcroft@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Nirmala Shenoy <nxsvks@rit.edu>, Dirk Kutscher <ietf@dkutscher.net>, "coin@irtf.org" <coin@irtf.org>, "Bernier, Daniel" <daniel.bernier@bell.ca>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, "ott@in.tum.de" <ott@in.tum.de>
Subject: Re: [Coin] Semantic Routing : Abstract definition? Architectural formulation?

The problem to me is that IETF leadership seemingly does not want to support either
an experimental WG or RG to work on better network protocols and their aspects
such as semantic addressing. Something like IP-NG on steroids except for not
calling in victory when an IPv4 with just fixed 128 bit addresses emerges as
the solution to all (Internet) problems. Like we did in the 90. And not even
doing any experimental work on a lot of good IP-NG work from back then.

The problem for COIN with these leadership dogmas is that research into the programmability of
forwarding planes is intrinsically tied to the protocols/forwarding planes using it.

If we only stick with our 40 year old IP protocol (with only 20 year old addresses ;-),
then there is very little research needed for better programmable forwarding planes,
except for trying to figure out what higher-up-the-stack functionality can be
done with the programmable forwarding planes. Where we would run into the same
issue too: As soon as you start focusing on new highler layer protocols to better
suit specific constrained programming environments, you would again be questioned
like i am being questioned here: how does that protocol then belong into COIN ?

Cheers
    Toerless