[dc] Comment of draft-dalela-dc-requirements

Lizhong Jin <lizho.jin@gmail.com> Mon, 09 January 2012 15:00 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 23:00:10 +0800
From: Lizhong Jin <lizho.jin@gmail.com>
To: adalela@cisco.com
Cc: Lizhong Jin <lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn>, dc@ietf.org
Subject: [dc] Comment of draft-dalela-dc-requirements

Hi Ashish,
I have several comments to this requirement. Thanks.

Section 5.3, Multi-tenancy problem. From my side, the multi-tenancy problem
is not only the scalability of segmentation-ID problem, it is also required
to isolate performance and security among multi-tenant. For example, one
tenant should not suffer denial-of-service attacks by other tenant within
same datacenter. A detailed example is, the huge broadcast traffic from one
tenant should not influence the performace and availability of other
tenants.

Section 5.3, "The use of L3 VRFs also poses similar challenges of scaling".
The challenge for VRF is quite different with VLAN. The challenge for VRF
is the scalability of forwarding table. And you also said:"With VRFs, these
entries will be present even if there is no traffic from a host to other
hosts in the VRF". I think this could be optimized that the FIB would store
only active route entries, while the RIB would store all route entries.

Section 5.5, last paragraph about mobility. It seems that this paragraph is
not much related with "network convergence", but is about "host mobility
impact to the network resource". While I find that, section 5.1 is about
the "host mobility impact to L2/3 forwarding", 5.10 is about the "host
mobility impact to forwarding tables". Suggest to re-organize the three
parts which are all related with impact of host mobility.

Regards
Lizhong