Re: [dhcwg] Question on Relay address field

Vijay Bhaskar A K <vijayak@india.hp.com> Mon, 24 September 2001 19:49 UTC

From: Vijay Bhaskar A K <vijayak@india.hp.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Question on Relay address field
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 01:21:04 +0530
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Jim,

Assume that my relay have the following configuration.

lan0  		-  fe80::260:b0ff:fec1:db08/10
lan0:1 		-  ff05::1:4:1/64
lan0:2		-  33fe:2900:1::1/64

lan2		-  fe80::1/10
lan2:1		-  1234::12/64

Please  note that,  whether the packet is received  in lan0:1 or lan0:2,
the stack returns the same interface  index.  (i.e) the interface  index
are same for all the logical interfaces like lan0:1, lan0:2,..

Using the IPV6_PKTINFO  option in setsockopt(), we can find out ONLY the
index of the  physical  interface.  We CANNOT  find out the exact  alias
interface  in which it is  received.  In other  words,  using the  index
returned by the  IPV6_PKTINFO,  we can find out, through  which card the
packet is  received.  We can find out whether it is received  in lan0 or
lan2.  But, we  cannot  find out  whether  it is  received  in lan0:1 or
lan0:2.  This is  because,  the IPv6  stack  assigns a single  interface
index for each physical interface.

Thus in our relay machine configuration...
index 1 corresponds to lan0 series.
index 2 corresponds to lan2 series.

And the API,
struct if_nameindex  *if_nameindex(void);
returns an array of if_nameindex as follows

if_index = 1
if_name  = lan0
if_index = 2
if_name  = lan2

Assume using  IPV6_PKTINFO, i am finding out the index as 1.  Then using
*if_nameindex(void)  i am finding out the interface name as "lan0".  But
the address  corresponds to the lan0 is  fe80::260:b0ff:fec1:db08/10  (a
link  local  address).  This  address  i SHOULD  not put it as the relay
address field.

Ok, lets us assume that, we will leave the link local  addresses  of the
physical interface, then, SHOULD i choose  ff05::1:4:1/64  (lan0:1) (or)
33fe:2900:1::1/64 (lan0:2)?

(or)  SHOULD i  choose  always  the  global  address  belonging  to that
physical interface?

If we decide that, we will choose always gloabal  address, what should i
do, if lan0 has 2 global  addresses of different  prefixes,  3ffe::20/16
and 5fee::20/64?  SHOULD i select first one or second one?

(or)  SHOULD i choose  the  first  configured  alias  interface  in that
physical interface?

Hope i have explained clearly abt the problem.

~Vijay