Re: [dhcwg] Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot-05

Bud Millwood <budm@weird-solutions.com> Wed, 07 October 2009 20:04 UTC

From: Bud Millwood <budm@weird-solutions.com>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:39:12 +0200
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>, Thomas Huth <THUTH@de.ibm.com>, Damien Neil <Damien.Neil@nominum.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-netboot-05

On Tuesday 06 October 2009, Damien Neil wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Thomas Narten wrote:
> > Would a resonable criteria be that multiple options are OK if you can
> > process them in whatever order you find them easily, without having to
> > go through the entire message and find other related options that must
> > be processed together?
>
> I think that ordering of options should not be significant, although
> I'm not convinced that non-significant ordering is sufficient reason
> to use multiple instances of an option.
>
> One of my concerns is the complexity of presenting option data to a
> user--to a server administrator specifying what to send to a client,
> or to a network configuration script executed by a client.

I prefer this:

OPTION_NETBOOT
  SUBOPT_BOOTFILE_URL
  SUBOPT_BOOTFILE_PARAMS
  SUBOPT_CLIENT_ARCH_TYPE
  SUBOPT_NII

I think Damien has a point about presentation. I also think it's easier to
present a subencoded option to the user with multiple (possibly required)
suboptions than to present top-level options (just because there are so many
top-level options).

The way our GUI works, for example, you define a subencoded option,
then "inside it" you can only define the suboptions declared for that parent.
So the list of data you can put in the suboption is short and easy to
comprehend.

The big issue with encoding, as I understand it, is that this one
configuration setting has multiple kinds of data associated with it. So
either we cram different kinds of data into one option (ie, "boot=mykernel
acpi=off"), which is not pretty, or we encode the data separately and
associate the encodings together. Subencoding will make an implicit
association between the encodings, nicely tucked away inside a parent
container specifically for net booting.

Then the issue is whether or not to support multiple OPTION_NETBOOT options.

Thomas, you said:

> In the past years, I've seen a couple of cluster installations with _a lot_
> of computers, ... so the scenario is really valid (though it's something
> that you might not use at home ;-) )

How does that work in practice today with DHCPv4? Are they configured to have
multiple boot files somehow, or is this an attempt to solve a need that
wasn't solved in DHCPv4?

- Bud