RE: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several WG documents

"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <volz@cisco.com> Wed, 22 November 2006 23:10 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several WG documents
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:09:55 -0500
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: "David W. Hankins" <David_Hankins@isc.org>, dhcwg@ietf.org
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=3277; t=1164236996; x=1165100996; c=relaxed/simple; s=rtpdkim1001; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=volz@cisco.com; z=From:=20=22Bernie=20Volz=20\(volz\)=22=20<volz@cisco.com> |Subject:=20RE=3A=20[dhcwg]=20WG=20last=20calls=20on=20several=20WG=20doc uments |Sender:=20 |To:=20=22David=20W.=20Hankins=22=20<David_Hankins@isc.org>, =20<dhcwg@iet f.org>; bh=mutAb1GjwmR+nkbLzdSZZ7U5CROjnGtPou8QALKkqXM=; b=nWLQh2yAaTH0sBt7TZ09KeuK2V2uPLhDli6iyKb32fECHhUeRTbDiW4fyV8K0W1auGqJZT2T MREpkS5v8mbkFCGd2G3R2uzuMOFrhdocclb3WOV3K35HKOtOlE3l3kvP;

David:

>I would like to again thank the authors of the leasequery draft
>for not only simplifying the message compared to the previous
>version, but /over/simplifying it beyond what I thought was
>reasonable to ask for (a defined drop order minus the bulk query,
>and only one or two fewer query types would have been OK by me).
>
>Anyway, my day job's work backlog thanks you.

The problem was that:
- QUERY_BY_LINK was a bulk query. So, it clearly had to go without some
means to return lots of data.
- QUERY_BY_PREFIX, as defined, was also capable of returning many
clients worth of data. And, the QUERY_BY_ADDRESS that remains now will
return the client that either has been delegated the prefix containing
the query address or was statefully assigned the address. This was a
beneficial change for Relay Agents that might need to restore
information after a reboot, since they're more likely to see traffic for
an address and need to know whether a client has it (or a prefix)
leased.
- QUERY_BY_REMOTE_ID could probably have stayed, but one concern is that
if the remote id isn't unique to a client (for example, it is a switch
port, which could have different clients plugged into it at different
times), we're back to the multiple client issue.
- QUERY_BY_DEVICE_ID required another draft which was never submitted
and has been dropped at this time. So, without that other work, it
didn't make sense to include it. Depending on the device id and its
uniqueness, it too potentially could return multiple clients.

That leaves QUERY_BY_CLIENTID and given that we were also asked to keep
the usage model to DHCPv6 devices (aka relay agents), it hardly seemed
likely that these devices would need that query.

Note that we didn't cut as much as we could have since the underlying
structure to add additional queries in the future does still exist. So,
if someone wants to add some back, write a draft ...

- Bernie