[Dime] AD review of draft-ietf-dime-rfc4005bis-09.txt

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Tue, 10 July 2012 14:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:46:55 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Subject: [Dime] AD review of draft-ietf-dime-rfc4005bis-09.txt

Dear all, Glen,

Please find below the AD review of draft-ietf-dime-rfc4005bis-09.txt

The document is in a good enough shape to be sent to IETF LC.
Please consider my comments together with the other IETF LC comments.

Glen, let me know if you plan on submitting a quick revision soon, or if
I should send THIS version to the IETF LC (which might lead to redundant
comment)

- Some idnits
http://tools.ietf.org/idnits?url=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-dime-rfc4005bis-09.txt

   Miscellaneous warnings:

   == The document seems to use 'NOT RECOMMENDED' as an RFC 2119 keyword, but
      does not include the phrase in its RFC 2119 key words list.

   Checking references for intended status: Proposed Standard

   == Missing Reference: 'BASE' is mentioned on line 219, but not defined

I understand that this is a quote from RFC4005. To avoid the source of
confusion, here is a proposal

OLD:

       However, the presence of an
       instance of the Acct-Application-Id AVP was required in RFC 4005,
       as well:

          The ACR message [BASE] is sent by the NAS to report its session
          information to a target server downstream.

          Either of Acct-Application-Id or Vendor-Specific-Application-Id
          AVPs MUST be present.  If the Vendor-Specific-Application-Id
          grouped AVP is present, it must have an Acct-Application-Id
          inside.

NEW:

       However, the presence of an
       instance of the Acct-Application-Id AVP was required in RFC 4005,
       which quotes:

          "The ACR message [BASE] is sent by the NAS to report its session
          information to a target server downstream.

          Either of Acct-Application-Id or Vendor-Specific-Application-Id
          AVPs MUST be present.  If the Vendor-Specific-Application-Id
          grouped AVP is present, it must have an Acct-Application-Id
          inside."

- One small improvement
OLD:

    o  The accounting model to be used is now specified.

NEW
    o  The accounting model to be used is now specified. See section 1.6

- Expand on the first ASA occurrence

- Add an point after [I-D.ietf-dime-rfc3588bis]

    3.1.  AA-Request (AAR) Command

        The AA-Request (AAR), which is indicated by setting the Command-Code
        field to 265 and the 'R' bit in the Command Flags field, is used to
        request authentication and/or authorization for a given NAS user.
        The type of request is identified through the Auth-Request-Type AVP
        [I-D.ietf-dime-rfc3588bis] The recommended value for most situations
        is AUTHORIZE_AUTHENTICATE.

- I could not find the meaning of * in, for example,

                           [ CHAP-Auth ]
                           [ CHAP-Challenge ]
                         * [ Framed-Compression ]
                           [ Framed-Interface-Id ]
                           [ Framed-IP-Address ]
                         * [ Framed-IPv6-Prefix ]
                           [ Framed-IP-Netmask ]
                           [ Framed-MTU ]
                           [ Framed-Protocol ]
                           [ ARAP-Password ]
                           [ ARAP-Security ]
                         * [ ARAP-Security-Data ]
                         * [ Login-IP-Host ]
                         * [ Login-IPv6-Host ]
                           [ Login-LAT-Group ]
                           [ Login-LAT-Node ]
                           [ Login-LAT-Port ]
                           [ Login-LAT-Service ]
                         * [ Tunneling ]
                         * [ Proxy-Info ]
                         * [ Route-Record ]
                         * [ AVP ]

- 3.7.  Abort-Session-Request (ASR) Command

    The Abort-Session-Request (ASR) message [I-D.ietf-dime-rfc3588bis]
    may be sent by any server to the NAS providing session service, to
    request that the session identified by the Session-Id be stopped.

By "any Diameter server"?  like in section 3.3 btw.

- IANA Considerations
Do we need to change all the "4005" entries in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/aaa-parameters/aaa-parameters.xml into
"4005bis"?
Or to be more correct, the new RFC id for 4005bis?

- OLD

    [RADIUSTypes]               IANA, "IANA Radius Attribute Values
                                Registry", <http://www.iana.org/
                                assignments/radius-types-3>.

NEW:
    [RADIUSTypes]               IANA, "IANA Radius Attribute Values
                                Registry", <http://www.iana.org/
                                assignments/radius-types>.

ALTERNATE PROPOSAL

    [RADIUSTypes]               IANA, "IANA Radius Attribute Values
                                Registry", <http://www.iana.org/assignments/radius-types/radius-types.xml#radius-types-1>.

Regards, Benoit.