Re: [Dime] [dime] #34: Semantics of OC-Report-Type AVP

Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> Wed, 05 February 2014 14:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 08:56:21 -0600
From: Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>
To: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] [dime] #34: Semantics of OC-Report-Type AVP

It makes more sense to me for a realm report to apply to all requests
targeted for that realm, independent the type of request.  This implies
that it would apply to requests that also have a Destination-Host specified.

If this is the definition of a realm report then we need to specify the
interaction between realm reports and host reports.

I propose that throttling would occur on the realm first and the host
second.  If a message targetted for the host is throttled as a result of
realm overload then that throttled message would count as part of the
reduction needed to address the host overload.  Messages to the host
that survive realm abatement would then be candidates for host overload.

Steve