Re: [Dime] WG adoption call for draft-zorn-dime-rfc4005bis-01

Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu> Fri, 13 August 2010 09:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:12:17 +0200
From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu>
To: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] WG adoption call for draft-zorn-dime-rfc4005bis-01

  Hi,

> The problem is that apparently nobody has _ever_ transitioned from RADIUS to
> Diameter and it appears as if nobody ever will.  Regarding EDUROAM, Diameter
> existed long before EDUROAM but they chose to hack RADIUS in their own way.
> In any case, if they decided to migrate to Diameter they could use the
> pointless tunneling protocol, retiring their RADIUS server when the
> transition was complete.

For the record: Yes, Diameter-the-protocol existed before going into
production service, and we looked at it.
Diameter-the-actually-usable-implementation didn't exist, and still
doesn't - at least not with our requirements. Sebastien's software is
the first thing that gets vaguely close (too many EAP types missing
though), and yes, we are evaluating it. Also the 4005 part of it.

More for the record: the first eduroam prototype was online June 2003;
RFC3588 dates September 2003. Your definition of "long before" violates
temporal continuity.

The pointless tunneling protocol doesn't help at all. As I pointed out
at the mic at earlier occasions: the authentication can only take place
if the final auth server is able to *unwrap* the message into plain
RADIUS. If the end auth server is a pure RADIUS server, someone else has
to do it for him. The outer Diameter message might have been decorated
with untranslatable extra attributes on the way; creating a highly
ambiguous state of the auth (unwrapped RADIUS might have conflicting
values to the added genuine Diameter ones? Even if unwrapping works,
what if a (Diameter) auth server crafts a (Diameter) answer, with
untranslatable attributes which can never be translated back to a RADIUS
NAS? If forwarded along multiple proxies, the wrapping entity would need
signalling on whether there will be an entity along the line to unwrap
the message at all. If there is none, the tunnel has no other end.
Signalling of this along multiple hops is unspecified in your draft, if
I'm not mistaken.

I don't think your draft has answers to these questions.

Anyway, the tunneling requires both ends of the tunnel to understand
RADIUS. It is thus not a transition mechanism. It's an alternative
transport. And a not very useful one, IMHO. I acknowledge your point
that there are apparently some organisations which have hardwired the
use of Diameter in their specs, while actually wanting to speak RADIUS
on some paths, and for these organisations, RADIUS disguised as Diameter
is a tool they might need.

Your point "noone ever transitioned" is true; but for reasons of lack of
options to do so. It's not exactly fair to blame the RFC for it. FWIW,
if were to write about RADIUS<->Diameter translation, it would be one
very short paragraph "This doesn't work." Note that I think that this
sentence is necessary IMHO; merely not writing *anything* about the
topic, because "noone ever used it", is not enough. You know, some
people might be *curious* about the topic, and could be *told* that they
need not look any further.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter