Re: [dispatch] New version for the Alert-Info URNs draft: draft-liess-dispatch-alert-info-urns-00.txt

Alan Johnston <alan@sipstation.com> Thu, 29 October 2009 13:53 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:53:34 -0500
From: Alan Johnston <alan@sipstation.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: bliss@ietf.org, dispatch@ietf.org, R.Jesske@telekom.de, L.Liess@telekom.de, anwars@avaya.com
Subject: Re: [dispatch] New version for the Alert-Info URNs draft: draft-liess-dispatch-alert-info-urns-00.txt

Paul,

One comment below.

Thanks,
Alan

Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> This seems to be shaping up well. I think the requirements are quite
> clear now.
>
> I don't fully understand what is intended regarding combination of
> multiple alert URNs for a specific situation. Section 4.5 states:
>
>>    finally, a short Albanian auto-callback tone could be indicated
>>    Alert-Info: <urn:alert:service:auto-callback>,
>>    <urn:alert:tone:short>, <urn:alert:tone:al>.
>
> while section 7.3.6 states:
>
>>    Alert URN Indications from the same group should not be combined.
>
> I could find no definition of what constitutes a "group". The first
> thing that comes to mind is "service" vs. "tone", but the above
> example violates that. It seems to me that you need some notion of
> orthogonal properties in order to define what can/cannot be combined.
>
> It would be good to have more detail about how a recipient should deal
> with multiple URNs.
>
> I'm also uncertain of what your intent is regarding top-level vs.
> additional indications. As specified, I believe a given "additional
> indication" name is always defined with regard to its parent, so that
> "short" as used in "normal.short" might mean something entirely
> different than "priority.short", or might not be defined for priority
> at all.
>
> Yet from the registration text in 7.3.2 it sounds like the intent is
> for priority, short, and delayed to be defined for all pbx-tones. If
> that is the intent, then I don't think the existing text meets that
> intent.

As it has been pointed out, short, long, and delayed are not compatible
with the semantic approach of this draft so I think we should remove
them as they are currently.  I need to investigate to see whether they
have been used in the past as stand-ins for a particular service, or
whether we need to define specific tones for them.

Priority, I still think, is useful - we just need to figure out how to
fit it in properly.