Re: [dmarc-ietf] Sender vs From Addresses

Charles Gregory <Charles@possumdelight.com> Thu, 25 March 2021 19:31 UTC

From: Charles Gregory <Charles@possumdelight.com>
To: John R Levine <johnl@taugh.com>, Gren Elliot <gelliot@mimecast.com>, "Kurt Andersen (b)" <kboth@drkurt.com>, "dmarc@ietf.org" <dmarc@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 19:31:35 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.2.29]
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Sender vs From Addresses

"It sounds like they're asking DMARC to do things it doesn't do. If you can't ensure that everything sent with your domain on the From line is signed with your signature, you shouldn't publish a DMARC policy."

It is a problem when receiving servers use DMARC existence and pass/fail to increase/decrease deliverability rates. - And when Yahoo/AOL pretty much block everything you send - even with a 98 sender score, SPF, DKIM, and clean opt-in lists.

"If your user's Sender and From domains belong to the same owner, it should be a SMOP to add a signature in the From domain."

Believe me, the corporate red tape of a multinational corporation is not a SMOP.

Consider how this SHOULD work with email service providers to a small business.  Emails should appear FROM CompanyA while the SENDER appears FROM MailChimp.  These are legitimately separate concerns.  Bounces go back to MailChimp for processing.  The receiver sees CompanyA in the from field.

DMARC threw the baby out with the bathwater.  If you want to eliminate spoofing and cut down on SPAM/Phishing/Scams without crippling SMTP and all the collateral damage, a domain should have the ability to authorize other domains to send mail on their behalf.  Any "unauthorized" domains would fail DMARC.

CompanyA specifies mailchimp.com as an authorized sending domain.  SPF verifies the sending email server IP address is authorized to send on behalf of mailchimp.com.

"I'm not saying it's trivial, but this is how DMARC works."

Going back to the beginning, DMARC breaks how SMTP worked.  The Sender address serves a purpose.  This is the address bounces should return to.  DMARC took a steamroller to the Sender address and it didn't have to.

"The rest of the world will not change the way it works to adapt to your situation rather than you fixing your setup to work with DMARC as it exists."

Maybe; but I am not alone on this.  The way DMARC disregards the Sender address has unintended consequences that negatively affected countless companies and applications - and reduces the functionality of SMTP.  I would like to think that things could be improved.  Then again, it really seems like it's time to go back to the drawing board and start over... SMTP 2.0???

Best,

Charles A. Gregory
CEO
Possumdelight Technologies
Charles@possumdelight.com
(678) 778-7200

“If it’s time sensitive, e-mail AND call.” - Charles Gregory