Re: [dns-privacy] Authentication in draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq

Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca> Tue, 16 February 2021 16:19 UTC

From: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 11:18:51 -0500
Cc: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org>, dprive@ietf.org
To: Ben Schwartz <bemasc=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dns-privacy] Authentication in draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq

On Feb 16, 2021, at 10:23, Ben Schwartz <bemasc=40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> I don't see why there would be a conflict between draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq and any future authenticated encryption RFC that we produce, so I don't see the need to impose a drastic dividing line (e.g. different port numbers).

I explained that in my previous message. Opportunistic normally is “do encryption, then you may omit authentication if that is too hard”. Opportunistic is not “try this technology and maybe in the future try this completely other technology”.

> Here's a counter-proposal:
> 1. Mark draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq "experimental".  This is in line with previous work on opportunistic encryption, e.g. RFC 8164, and accurately reflects the draft's status as both speculative and (hopefully) transitional.
> 2. Replace Section 5 with the following language:
>
> There is currently no defined mechanism for authenticated ADoT, so resolvers MUST NOT authenticate the server except by private agreement with the server operator.

That makes using a LetsEncrypt certificate violate the RFC’s MUST NOT. I strongly object to this as now you are actively weakening security.

>   Server operators SHOULD use self-signed certificates to avoid implying an authentication mechanism that might conflict with a future ADoT authentication standard.

Same here.

> As I've said before, I _do_ think this draft is valuable and presents a worthwhile public experiment that will pave the way for authenticated ADoT.  For DNS services that are used to DNS over UDP, running DNS over TLS is a big, scary project.  This draft can provide a way to get some practice with that in a low-risk setting, where TLS-related failures are not significantly user-visible.

The “big scary” part of using TLS is in the transport that is common for authenticated and unauthenticated TLS. And as I’ve said before, at this point in time generating a selfsigned cert is harder than getting a validated ACME certificate.

>   Once operators are comfortable with DNS over TLS, I think it will be a lot easier to start rolling out some real authentication.

I strongly disagree, please reread my previous message that describes how these solutions are identical except for how or if the authenticate the incoming certificate payload.

Paul