Re: [dns-privacy] [internet-drafts@ietf.org: I-D Action: draft-bortzmeyer-dprive-step-2-00.txt]

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Tue, 19 July 2016 08:36 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Shane Kerr <shane@time-travellers.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 08:36:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.47.234]
Cc: "dns-privacy@ietf.org" <dns-privacy@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dns-privacy] [internet-drafts@ietf.org: I-D Action: draft-bortzmeyer-dprive-step-2-00.txt]

Hi Shane,

I also agree that recursive-to-authority privacy should be done in dprive,
and a my desire here is two fold. So yes the developed, but essentially
not yet deployed, standards need to bake. Additionally I feel that
deployment experience as very important input to the next step.

I'm also not insisting folks work outside of the working group. I'll leave
it to the chairs to take (or not) informative presentations at future
meetings on related dprive topics, yet surely priority should be given to
the charter as it stands.

IIRC the consensus at the time for forming dprive as a WG was to first see
a baked stub-recursive solution with experience. I still feel that has
value and feel it's premature to dive into recursive-to-authority in
charter space despite the very good intentions of smart people in this
working group.

Cheers
Terry