Re: [dnsext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-02

Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz> Thu, 16 June 2011 19:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:22:03 -0400
To: OndÞej Sur˜ <ondrej.sury@nic.cz>
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Cc: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ah-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-02

At 9:50 +0200 6/16/11, OndÞej Sur˜ wrote:
>Hi,
>
>since I didn't receive any comments I guess:
>
>a) it's not exciting
>b) it's so good that it doesn't need any improvement [which I doubt]
  c) was unaware of the document's existence despite thinking "it would be
     about time to tackle this"

;)

I began reading the draft and started listing a
lot of comments.  It would take me a long time to
complete, so I thought I'd raise two things here.

1. The document talks a lot about the context of
an IXFR exchange.  Can this be removed and stick
to just the actions of an IXFR client and server?
I mean, it doesn't matter why the IXFR is being
kicked off.  (BTW, the statement that IXFRs are
mostly kicked off by NOTIFY isn't really true, we
oversee a lot of zones that do not change thus do
not cause NOTIFY's to fly.  This factoid applies
to different places but in the end, doesn't
really matter when you are describing the
protocol.)

2. For the first time I have thought abotu
IXFR-only and I don't get it at all.  The reason
is I don't accept that "If this is not possible,
in the case of bare IXFR, the server falls back
to AXFR, i.e. it provides the full zone content."
Yes, there's a AXFR-style IXFR (all in one UDP
message) but I don't think that is what is meant.

When a server indicates that IXFR can't be used,
the server can not switch to AXFR.  The switch
that is observed in operations comes from the
client deciding to switch.  If the reason for
IXFR-only is that a client, having failed to IXFR
from IP address #1 will try AXFR instead of
trying IXFR from IP address #2, then my response
is that this is an implementation issue, not a
protocol issue.

RFC 1995 never specifies that a failed IXFR will
cause an AXFR to happen.  Maybe that's an
accident of history, because implementations do
this that we think that is what is supposed to
happen.  It's not in the specification that way,
as far as I can find.

The closest passage is in section 2 of RFC 1995:

    Thus, a client should first make an IXFR query using UDP.  If the
    query type is not recognized by the server, an AXFR (preceded by a
    UDP SOA query) should be tried, ensuring backward compatibility.

Note that this is if the IXFR QTYPE is not
recognized, not a refusal to use IXFR.  And note
that this is for backward compatibility.

Thinking in another vein, if a client chooses not
to ever use AXFR, then what happens when IXFR
requests can't be satisfied?  Let the zone
EXPIRE?  Is a dead server better than a server
that is taking time to sync up?  (This calls out
the motivation for IXFR-only.)

---

As I mentioned, there is a need to refresh this
RFC - well, maybe.  I want to suggest specifying
that a IXFR client will verify the RRSIG of the
first SOA returned.  This will close one more
place a forger might be able to insert into or
remove records from a DNSSEC signed zone without
detection (assuming there's no VPN, TSIG, TKEY or
similar protection).

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

I'm overly entertained.