Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for draft-kumari-ogud-dnsop-cds-02.txt

"Dickson, Brian" <bdickson@verisign.com> Mon, 08 July 2013 18:50 UTC

From: "Dickson, Brian" <bdickson@verisign.com>
To: Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>, Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>, John Dickinson <jad@sinodun.com>, "dnsop@ietf.org WG" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 18:49:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.173.152.4]
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] New Version Notification for draft-kumari-ogud-dnsop-cds-02.txt

On 7/8/13 2:28 PM, "Patrik Fältström" <paf@frobbit.se> wrote:

>I have also had a look at this document which I in general do believe is
>sound, although there are a few events I would like to have described in
>the document. Reason for this is that I see it being really important
>that it is implemented the same way in all usage scenarios.
>
>One such situation is what is to happen when NS records changes in the
>parent zone.

I think, perhaps, that a corresponding mechanism for NS change (or change
validation), will be what we eventually conclude is also a good idea (or
even necessary to provide some means of protection/validation to an
otherwise unprotected-but-critical element).

For the same kinds of reasons as parent/child DS vs DNSKEY "mismatch"
(pre-publication of DS without publication of DNSKEY), there are reasons
that parent and child NS sets are not always the same.

So, using the child NS set to directly validate the parent NS set is a
non-starter.

However, maybe something like a "PNS" (parent NS) in the child, where the
child is authoritative for the data, could signal {change | validation}
(depending on the RRR requirements), would do the trick?

Upon receiving a change request for the NS set, the zone publisher could
check the child for matching PNS records.

Facilitates automation, just as CDS would.

Thoughts?

Brian