Re: [DNSOP] draft-yao-dnsop-idntld-implementation-01.txt

Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@abenaki.wabanaki.net> Fri, 06 November 2009 23:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:32:15 -0500
From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@abenaki.wabanaki.net>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] draft-yao-dnsop-idntld-implementation-01.txt

I too have read the document.

Let N = the number of entries in the IANA root associated with the
territories listed in the ISO 3166-1, and {N} denote that set.

One or more of Verisign, Afilias and NeuStar operate two or more ccTLD
entries, each with an optional, not required, nominally distinct
policy and set of registrants. The RW and CD registries share
technical contact (and possibly related dysfunctional properties). Etc.

There exists a substantial class of SLD registrations which are
present in multiple entries within {N}, and under the theory of
"subsidiarity principle" offered by the chair of the ccNSO, it is
possible for two or more ccTLDs to consist entirely of registrations
of this class, and to have the same operator.

Therefore the DNAME or NS choice of mechanism is present whether or
not any increase occurs to {N}. Granted, the likelihood of DNAME is
much less likely than NS, but other than government or FOJ client
acquisition, and IANA change request management, no technical or
policy barrier exists to preference NS over DNAME as the choice of
mechanism.

Next, an increase in the number of entries O(N/5) without a
corresponding increase in N, expands the instances of multi-entry
operations. It has been asserted, though the final policy guidelines
are not yet available, that each instance in this step-wise increase
in {N}, which will be an entry of the form "xn--*", will be operated
by the operator of the existing corresponding entry in the IANA root
associated with the territories listed in the ISO 3166-1.

As a policy matter, this assumption is problematic. Consider for
instance the problems of the existing operators for .US or .CA in
operating a "US-or-CA-in-Chinese" registry, or the existing operator
for .CN in operating a "CN-in-Tibetan" registry, or the existing
operator for .IL in operating a "IL-in-Yiddish" registry. It is
possible that each of these example registry operators will have
constraints which preclude users from creating persistent resource
identifiers using these example non-Latin scripts used by non-trivial
populations having a preferential association with the corresponding
existing ISO 3166-1 entry. These are of course, just examples, and not
intended to describe actual policy limitations or present or plan of
record practice.

The problem is elided temporarily by the assumption that each
government or FOJ will select only one (or two) additional strings to
add to {N}, and so minority languages, and therefor multiple distinct
policy goals, will not be present.

This increase is the ccTLD IDN "FastTrack".

Next after, an increase in the number of entries O(M*N), again,
without a corresponding increase in N, expands the instances of
multi-entry operations. It is not yet asserted whether each instance
in this subsequent step-wise increase in {N}, which will be an entry
of the form "xn--*", will also be operated by the operator of the
existing corresponding entry in the IANA root associated with the
territories listed in the ISO 3166-1.

This increase is the ccTLD IDN PDP.

This will present this problem more fully, whether the additional
entries are in scripts which are non-Latin only, a restriction present
in the "FastTrack", or non-Latin, and decorated Latin, and potentially
even non-decorated Latin.

In general, DNAME as the choice of mechanism for multiple instances of
entries in the IANA root associated with the territories listed in the
ISO 3166-1 is unlikely to promote the use of minority languages as
resource identifiers, as is NS, where the two or more delegations
share a single or ordered hierarchy of policy goals.

Finally, there is the matter of equivalence classes within character
repertoires which exist in work product of the IDNAbis WG, now in LC.

The SC/TC equivalence class is well known. Less well known, outside of
the IDNAbis WG, is the Arabic and Persian YEH non-equivalance, and
other examples, and other equivalence classes in other scripts.

By abuse of notation these are all commonly referred to as "variants",
and by a similar abuse of goals ordering, "anti-phishing" using
"variants" is frequently presented as a controlling design goal,
rather than enabling the use of scripts to form persistent resource
idenifiers, even by linguistic minorities in the territories
associated with ISO 3166-1.

Independent of the limitations of DNAME, the NS choice of mechanism
allows the possibility of distinct policies associated with two or
more elements of {N} associated with a single ISO 3166-1 entry,
possibly through physically distinct operators. This has been argued
to be a weakness of the NS choice of mechanism. I hope I've conveyed
my impression that there are foreseeable circumstances where a single
policy over two or more "variants" is also a non-desirable outcome,
independent of the choice of mechanism.

I don't know if there will be an application by the United States for
a Cherokee Syllabary equivalent to "US" or by Canada for a
Carrrier/Cree/Dene/Innu/Inuktitut/Siksika Syllabic equivalent to "CA",
but as we look to the ASCII-only ISO 3166-1 use in the IANA root
tending toward something approximating a sparse subset of the product
of that and ISO 639, consistency for "anti-phishing", overlooking the
expectations of the users forming and using persistent idenifiers, to
the point of selecting which "variants" have no meaning other than
visual dissimularity (or simularity, depending on the particular
choice of edge case in the IDNAbis work product), and restricting the
choices of identifiers (or more generally, vocabularies in scripts
users might select, which may not exist in the "official" standards
associated with a territory to which an ISO 3166-1 entry has been
allocated.

Finally, there is the eventual non-step, monotonic increase of entries
in the IANA root which are not associated with the territories listed
in the ISO 3166-1. This number is presently quite small, but is
conjectured to grow O(2xN) annually, or perhaps O(2xN) in year 1, and
O(N) thereafter. Unlike the two prior anticipated increases in the
number of entries, no bound is known, and at least one proposal for
"single registrant" TLDs creates the possibility that the number of
globally protected trademarks, O(10^^5) is a lower bound for this
growth in the IANA root.

Absent any restriction, it seems reasonable that substantial numbers
of "single registrant" TLDs could be implemented using DNAME, with
each having a SLD set similar to the set of addresses defined in
RFC2142 {info, marketing, sales, support; abuse, noc, security; ...},
disambiguated at the application layer by the mass-registry operator.

I've written this note because I'm not satisfied with the bivalued
approach to the variant problem in the Yao draft, nor with the unitary
semantic approach to variants offered, even by a single, unified
registry operator, nor the implicit constraint of the operational
problem as the number of entries in the IANA root associated with the
territories listed in the ISO 3166-1 grows, and as the number of
entries in the IANA root not associated with the territories listed in
the ISO 3166-1 grows.

I'm sorry I can't be in Hiroshima so that I can attempt to field spit
balls for such an excess of Layer 9 persiflage, and my typical bad to
worse writing.

Like Andrew, I believe I know why the Yao draft had to be written, and
unlike Andrew I think DNAME is the wrong answer, and the view that
"any name must be _functionally the same_ as all the other variants of
that name" concerns me as it appears to put one commercial interest
above all non-commercial interests in IDN policy.

Written while interrupted by children and so on. All errors mine,
everything correct stolen from others, etc.

Cheers,
Eric