Re: [Atoca] Requirement D2: "Large Audience"

Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net> Mon, 17 January 2011 15:25 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:44:02 -0500
To: mark.wood@engineer.com
Cc: earlywarning@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Atoca] Requirement D2: "Large Audience"

It may be, but I'd like to explore this a bit anyway.

Millions of messages (acknowledgements) is a scale we can deal with today.  Hundreds of millions is probably beyond what we can deal with in a response to a very large alert.

Most systems consist of several smaller subsystems.  The purpose of an acknowledgement is to make sure everyone got the message.  If the subsystem can determine that every one of its clients got it, it can report that up the line.  It can save missed acks for later analysis, or if there are few enough of them, report them up.

This means messages national scale which have small effectivity times can't reasonably ask for message acknowledgement.  Anything smaller than that probably can.

Since most alerts really don't involve hundreds of millions of notifications, most alerts probably can ask for them.

If your delivery mechanism is multicast, the multicast mechanism itself doesn't track who gets the alert in any way we can use.  That implies something else is tracking who gets the alert, a complication that could loom large.  Some systems do know who gets the alert (sometimes because it knows who it is connected to, and all of them get the alert).  Certainly, anything with a subscription has the characteristic that the sender knows who all the recipients are.

It's VERY valuable to know that every entity that should get the alert got it.  The only other mechanism we have is some repeating of the sending in the hopes that everyone got it.  In some cases you may have more than one "path" to the same recipient.  That might be multiple devices, multiple services, or multiple logical or physical connections.  You may try one first, and if that doesn't get an ack, try another.  Although we often think of this mechanism as needing no more than seconds to deploy, in fact many alerts would be fine with a few minutes, and trying some things sequentially may make sense.

So, yes, probably a Tsunami alert to all of East Asia can't ask for acknowledgements.  An "Amber Alert" (possible abducted child) to a county might very well.  Certainly, a snow emergency closing to the parents of an elementary school could.

Brian