Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #1: Motivations

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Thu, 14 April 2016 09:03 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'panayotis antoniadis' <panayotis@nethood.org>, gaia@irtf.org
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:03:01 +0200
Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #1: Motivations

This is a good point.

These would be goals (why the network is useful, what is its main
"service"):

We can split the list into two, with different introductory paragraphs. We
should take into account that these motivations are used in the
classification.

Something like:

Alternative Networks can also be classified according to the underlying
motivation
for them, i.e. the goals it tries to accomplish:

> >>     o  Reducing initial capital expenditures (for the network and the
end
> >>        user, or both).
> >>
> >>     o  Providing additional sources of capital (beyond the traditional
> >>        carrier-based financing).
> >>
> >>     o  Reducing on-going operational costs (such as backhaul or network
> >>        administration).
> >>
> >>     o  Reducing hurdles to adoption (digital literacy; literacy in
> >>        general; relevance, etc.)
> >>
> >>     o  Extending coverage to underserved areas (users and communities).
> >>
> >>     o  Providing an alternative service in case of natural disasters
and
> >>        other extreme situations.

The motivations of the users who deploy them can be diverse:

> >>     o  Leveraging expertise, and having a place for experimentation and
> >>        teaching.

> >>     o  Becoming an active participant in the deployment and management
of
> >>        a real and operational network.
> >>
> >>     o  Various forms of activism, looking for network neutrality
> >>        guarantees, anti-censorship, decentralization to minimize
control,
> >>        creating and sharing of "commons" (i.e. information and
knowledge
> >>        resources that are collectively shared), etc.
>>>
> >>     o  Free sharing of Internet connectivity, including altruistic
> >>        reasons.
> >>
> >>     o  Preferring alternative ownership model (co-owning, co-operating)
> >>        of the networking infrastructure.

Do you agree with the separation?

Jose